Madelamingtons

26 January 2013

Post image for Madelamingtons

As an Australian married to a Frenchman, could there be a more perfect cake to represent the union of our two cultures than the madelamington, a French madeleine dressed up as an Australian lamington? No, I didn’t come up with this name, but I am rather disappointed that I didn’t coin this term myself. In fact, as a frequent baker and consumer of madeleines and lamingtons, I wonder how the idea of marrying these two cakes had never occurred to me.

It was precisely this recipe in Rachel Allen’s new book, Cake, which prompted me to buy the book. Not that I really needed a recipe – I could have used my go-to madeleine recipe and the chocolate icing from my lamington recipe. But the idea of the madelamington itself was so cute that I was sold on the book.

As far as madeleine recipes go, this particular recipe was good, but didn’t produce the moist and cakey madeleines that I expected. Upon comparing Rachel Allen’s recipe to my regular recipe, I found that the ingredients were more or less the same (only the ratio was altered), but that the method was slightly different. The recipe which I usually use requires you to rest the batter for at least an hour, thereby allowing the gluten to relax and for the batter to become thicker in consistency. This resting period would give rise to a cake with a more delicate, moist and spongey texture than if you were to skip this step.

And whilst the melted chocolate provided a quick and simple coating for the coconut to adhere to, I think a proper chocolate icing (like that used in my lamington recipe) would have made them taste closer to a lamington.

Overall, while the idea of a madelamington is really cute, I think some tweaks here and there would make this the perfect sweet treat.

Happy Australia Day everyone!

Madelamingtons
Recipe adapted from Cake by Rachel Allen
Makes about 12 madeleines, depending on the size of the madeleine mould

madelamingtons-ingredients

madelamingtons-recipe-1

madelamingtons-recipe-2

madelamingtons-recipe-3

madelamingtons-recipe-4

madelamingtons-recipe-6

madelamingtons-recipe-7

madelamingtons-recipe-8

One deviation from Rachel Allen’s recipe which I took was to omit 25 g (1 oz) of dessicated coconut from the batter. Lamingtons typically do not have coconut in the sponge cake but I imagine that these cakes would have still tasted lovely with this addition.

Dianne Shepherd 26 January 2013 at 10:09 am

Oh, decisions, decisions. Do I make madelamingtons or lamington cupcakes filled with jam and fresh cream now! I am conflicted! Happy Australia Day!

eat, little bird 26 January 2013 at 10:45 am

I would make both! Love the sound of the lamington cupcakes. I wasn’t planning on making lamingtons today due to shortage of time, but your mention of lamingtons with jam and cream has gotten my taste buds going!

Dianne Shepherd 26 January 2013 at 10:48 am

Yes – that is certainly a thought. It would also give me an excuse to buy some madeleine tins – which I have wanted since I first saw madeleines in a cookbook as a child!

eat, little bird 26 January 2013 at 11:20 am

I think a madeleine tin is worth the investment. In fact, I use mine so often that I now hang it on the wall for easy access. But even if it turns out to be a special occasion tin, madeleines are so dainty and delicious that I think they’re worth having in your baking collection. I have to confess to having a small collection of madeleine tins, including some antique ones … I’m obviously a madeleine addict!

Kristin 26 January 2013 at 10:39 am

What a great idea – like you said, I feel like I should have thought of it before. Can’t wait to give this a try!

eat, little bird 26 January 2013 at 10:59 am

Please let me know if you do try this recipe. I would love to know what you think of it!

Taryn 26 January 2013 at 11:00 am

What a lovely take on a lamington! I’m saving this for next Australia Day! If I can wait that long. xx

eat, little bird 26 January 2013 at 11:10 am

Hopefully you will get a chance to try them before then ;-)

Shaz 26 January 2013 at 11:13 am

These sound delish, was wanting to make something to celebrate Australia Day, but didn’t want the faff of full blown lammingtons these will do perfectly…. Thanks Hon

eat, little bird 26 January 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh you’re welcome! As much as I adore lamingtons, they do require a bit of time. These madelamingtons are not quite as fiddly but I think they are a cute twist. Happy Australia Day!

TheSpicySaffron 26 January 2013 at 1:49 pm

Happy Australia day, Thanh! The Madelamingtons looks delicious as well as pretty. It has surely inspired me to buy a madeleine tin ( sadly I don’t own one ).

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thank you! Madeleine tins are wonderful to have in your collection, not least because they themselves happen to be really pretty ;-)

Julian 27 January 2013 at 7:12 am

They look & sound amazing, and those pictures are so good I almost licked my computer screen.

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 1:46 pm

Hi Julian! Lovely to see you here :-) Coming from you a fabulous photographer as you, that’s a wonderful compliment!

Paula 27 January 2013 at 9:38 am

I’ve never tasted lamingtons, even if they call my attention, they looks alwasy sooooo soft!
And, at this time of year, they become an obsession, they’re on all blogosphere. But then, I forget them…

Although the idea of madelamingtons sounds good, I think I prefer your last year lamingtons. It’s not just what you say about preparation, is also that… they have more chocolate!! :P

I’m in love with your step by step!! So lovely!!

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thanks, Paula! If I had to choose, I would also go for the lamington :-) Incidentally, I coated some madeleines completely in chocolate before rolling in coconut and … they looked really funny! They didn’t look very pretty (you couldn’t tell that it was a madeleine) but they still tasted good.

thelittleloaf 27 January 2013 at 11:34 am

These are SUCH an amazing idea, love! I need to get myself a lamington pan :-)

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 2:14 pm

LOL!! Oh yes, a lamington pan is a must! I have several!

Melange 27 January 2013 at 1:45 pm

Brilliant idea there..Would love to try this at least once..

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 2:15 pm

I love Rachel Allen’s books and I think this has to be one of her cutest recipes. Please let me know if you do try this recipe!

Carmen 27 January 2013 at 6:52 pm

Ohhh they will be the next time today i have in the Terasse the clasic waiting for tomorrow:D

Carmen 27 January 2013 at 6:53 pm

But today i cooking your Pot-au-feu…..:D

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 2:16 pm

Ooh, please let me know how the pot-au-feu turned out. I hope you enjoyed it!

Rushi 28 January 2013 at 10:50 am

Thanh this is such a cute post, I will be making the madelamingtons later on this week. I love madelines and I enjoy making my own. They are such a joy to make and so difficult to resisit :) I tried the ones with nutella and they were an instant hit so I’m guessing these will be too. Will drop by to let you know how they turned out.

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 2:18 pm

Oh another madeleine fan! If you do try these madelamingtons, please let me know if you rest the batter or not. Next, time, I will use my usual madeleine recipe (the one with Nutella but omit the Nutella) before coating in chocolate and coconut.

Rushi 30 January 2013 at 10:19 am

I made the madelamingtons and weren’t they delish!!! :D I was lazy and didn’t rest the batter but I will do so next time just to compare the results. I loved the texture of these madelines but I think resting the batter would give them a more spongey texture, don’t you think?

eat, little bird 30 January 2013 at 4:15 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you tried this recipe and enjoyed it! The next time I make these, I will rest the batter, I think. I think it would definitely lead to a better cake texture. It will just require a bit more planning but I know what you mean about being lazy … or impatient! ;-)

Rushi 13 March 2013 at 3:16 pm

I forgot to post back, but I did make ‘em again and let it rest for a while. They did seem a tad more fluffier and a slightly bigger hump (is that the word???) , but it wasn’t a huge difference. Maybe I should make two batches to be extra sure (now I have a good excuse to make ‘em again). What I can say is nothing store bought ones pale in comparison with homemade madelines.

The Food Sage 28 January 2013 at 11:29 am

Sounds like the perfect marriage! I love your recipe layout – always so clean and clear. One of the best layouts around!

eat, little bird 28 January 2013 at 2:19 pm

Oh thanks, Rachel :-) When I started these recipe photos, I wanted to do something a bit different to other food blogs, so I’m really happy that you and many others enjoy them :-)

Kay D'lyma 12 February 2013 at 8:41 am

I can’t wait to try this! they look delicious…

The Patterned Plate 15 February 2013 at 11:54 am

I showed an Aussie friend of mine this post and her mouth dropped open! Ha! These look super cute and I am sure would taste absolutely delish. Your madeleine recipe is the one I use exclusively and it’s always a winner.

eat, little bird 17 February 2013 at 12:51 pm

They are very cute, aren’t they? But all madeleines are cute and irresistible … I’m thinking of making another batch of the Nutella ones :-)

Wendell 18 February 2013 at 8:30 pm

My partner made some for my birthday celebration this weekend. He used your icing, but stuck to our go-to Madeleine recipe from Ina Garten. Adding the icing is great… and it kept the few that lasted beyond brunch much moister than they usually are.
I’m attaching a link to a picture of our Madeleine tin collection.

eat, little bird 18 February 2013 at 9:58 pm

I love your madeleine tin collection! And I love how you have used them almost as wall decoration. Icing the madeleines definitely keeps them moister for longer. I’m glad you liked this idea.

Kerry 3 March 2013 at 7:52 am

I am so glad that I found your blog! I’m a little late in the game, as I just came across your show a few weeks ago when I left work early. Similar to you, I’m awaiting my first child and can tell he enjoys eating and cooking (he often starts to wake when I’m making dinner or baking, etc.) I’m only 27 weeks and he already weighs 3 lbs! Anyway, like I said, I’m so glad I found your blog, I love your recipes and I’m totally AMAZED you would cook this delicious food in that teeny-tiny kitchen. Congratulations on your first little one!!!

Lexy 7 May 2013 at 12:17 pm

These look delish and I can’t wait to make them. Thanks for the suggestion to dip them in the Lamington style.
I do have a question for you though. Shouldn’t your Madeleines be turned with the ridges on the top? Wouldn’t want to confuse them with a mini-Twinkie look :-)

eat, little bird 15 May 2013 at 9:52 am

LOL! I like to place the madeleines with the hump on top, otherwise the madeleines will flatten if placed with the ridges facing up. This is especially since I personally think a sign of a good madeleine is one that has risen well :-)

Karen 23 June 2013 at 8:56 am

Hi again eat little bird…didn’t realise you were an Aussie married to a Frenchman (a marriage made in heaven!)

I just LOVE the idea of these…thanks so much for posting.
I made my first batch of traditional madelaines from Rachel Koo’s recipe but I switched the white (sweet poison) sugar for Rapadura. So the results were caramel-coloured little mouthfuls, not as light or with those gorgeous tinged edges. I’ll try using Stevia next time :)

Merci beaucoup!

eat, little bird 23 June 2013 at 12:48 pm

The idea of the Madelamington is really cute. Rachel’s madeleine recipe is really delicious but, yes, experimenting with the types of sugar can bring about different results. I would be curious to know how it works with Stevia.

bluebirdsunshine 12 August 2013 at 9:33 pm

Excuse me while I pass out from happiness. They look AMAZING!