Cherry Tomato Relish

cherry-tomato-relish

Having now shared one of my favourite meat pie recipes, it’s only fitting that I also share my all-time favourite tomato chutney recipe.

This recipe comes from Donna Hay magazine and, like most of her recipes, it is super quick and super easy to make. I make it so regularly that I doubt I will ever try any other tomato chutney recipe, lest it disappoint me. I love this cherry tomato relish served with anything from meat pies, sausage rolls and hamburgers, to something a bit more upmarket like a proper roast beef dinner.

The relish keeps well in the fridge for about a week, but I suspect that it could keep for a bit longer; we’ve rarely had any leftover for very long. And it goes without saying that, bottled up in a pretty glass jar, they make for a lovely homemade foodie gift.

CHERRY TOMATO RELISH

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 41, Oct/Nov 2008
Serves: 1 to 1½ cups
Method

Share your photos!

If you have made this dish, I would love to hear how it turned out! Please leave a comment below and share your photos on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using #eatlittlebird

48 Comments

1. Lorna Buffey 31 January 2012

beautifully presented as always and i’m definitely going to have a go at this one!

• eat, little bird 31 January 2012

Thanks, Lorna! Please let me know if you do try this recipe – I would love to know what you think of it!

2. Caroline 31 January 2012

OOoh love the look and the sound of this…relishes and chutneys are new to me, but I have embraced them with the zeal of a new convert. I will definitely give this a go…thanks for sharing Thanh :-))

• eat, little bird 31 January 2012

Strange because I thought you would be familiar with relishes and chutneys? This is mainly because, after meat pies, I associate them with Indian food! Gosh, I love the array of chutneys that they serve at Indian restaurants – I think an Indian meal wouldn’t be complete without them. This cherry tomato chutney was my first foray into the world of chutneys and I’m anxious to try other recipes soon :-)

• Caroline 31 January 2012

I think that the present day relishes and chutneys are inspired by the achaars or pickles from India. Chutney in India is usually a freshly made, probably ground fresh coconut, coriander and green chilli affair. At least in my neck of the woods. If you are talking about a sweet mango chutney that served in Indian restaurants, then that’s a pretty British thing. Generally, but not always, pickles tend to be fiery spiced, very tart and tangy. They may or may not be cooked. I think the state of Gujarat are known for their milder heat, sweeter tasting pickles, and that’s perhaps where most of the ‘western’ idea of chutneys comes from.

But you can see why I love chutneys and relishes :-) When I tasted my first ham, cheese and chutney sandwich at the ripe ol’ age of 25…oh! Sensational!

• eat, little bird 2 February 2012

It seems I have a lot to learn when it comes to Indian cuisine! The sweet mango chutneys and the like do sound very much like a British adaptation … much like seeing hot chips amongst the side dishes alongside the naan breads! 😉

I also love chutneys and relishes and hope to venture into the more traditional types used in Indian cuisine.

3. Sandy 1 February 2012

Hello sweetie!

Perfect as usually, I am gonna try this recipe asap! :) Greeting from Czech republic!!!

• eat, little bird 2 February 2012

Hello! :-) It’s a fabulously simple and tasty recipe, and I hope you will enjoy it!

4. Anita Menon 1 February 2012

I love your photographs. So so stunning.

• eat, little bird 2 February 2012

Oh thanks, Anita :-) That means a lot to me! These photos here are a mix of old and new … the photos of the chutney were taken last year, but the cherry tomatoes were taken recently. I hope I’m improving!

5. Liz Headon 1 February 2012

This sounds lovely: I wonder whether it would freeze ? I’d never get through 400 ml in a week, though perhaps it would be practicable to make a smaller quantity.

• eat, little bird 2 February 2012

I’m not sure about freezing it, Liz. Hopefully someone else could help out on that question. I think you could halve the recipe without any problem, or give a jar away to a nice neighbour? I know I said a week but I’m sure it would keep for longer if in the fridge … I tend to err on the side of caution 😉

6. The Steaming Pot 2 February 2012

Came here via foodgawker. Love the look of your blog.

This sounds easy to make and delicious – just my kind of recipe :) Very nice photographs!

• eat, little bird 2 February 2012

Thank you for visiting my blog! Just had a peek at your blog and you have some delicious Indian recipes!

7. The Food Sage 3 February 2012

Perfect. Was just wondering what to do with a small stash of home-grown cherry tomatoes about to come off the vine this weekend!

• eat, little bird 7 February 2012

Oh I’ve seen the photos of your cherry tomatoes – they look beautiful! Hopefully you can enjoy most of them in a nice salad too :-)

8. Amber 4 February 2012

mmmmmmm delicious!

9. Denise 6 February 2012

I love a good relish or chutney, but have never made it myself (I know, I know…) I think this will be the first version to try out!

• eat, little bird 7 February 2012

Oh I hope you will try this relish! It was the first recipe I tried and I keep going back to it :-)

10. Kristin 4 March 2012

I was super exicted for a minute because I thought the recipe was for cherry pepper relish…I’m a little sad that it’s not, but I’m really glad that it’s for cherry tomato relish! How delicious! I think I’m going to have to make this!

• eat, little bird 4 March 2012

LOL! Now you have me thinking … what is a cherry pepper? This cherry tomato relish is really delicious and I hope you will have a chance to give it a try.

11. […] not great. The memory of the yucky bits in the sink still lingered in my mind. Some homemade Cherry Tomato Relish and a bottle of Nando’s Hot Peri-Peri Sauce were a welcome accompaniment to the chicken […]

12. Amber DeGrace 17 May 2012

Delicious and nearly identical to a tomato relish I had at a fine restaurant a few weeks ago. I made a few changes: caster sugar is not readily available here & I didn’t want to wake the napping offspring to use the blender so I used plain granulated sugar. I didn’t have red wine vinegar so mixed sherry and balsamic. Thank you for a great recipe! I pinned it and will be subscribing to your feed.

Cheers!

• eat, little bird 18 May 2012

I’m happy to hear that you tried this relish with successful results. I think the recipe is quite forgiving so your little changes should hopefully still result in a delicious relish. I like your addition of balsamic vinegar – I might try that myself next time!

13. Amber DeGrace 17 May 2012

I also wanted to make note that I plan on pushing it through a strainer because I can’t stand the tomato skins!

14. Adam Knox 12 June 2012

Tried this recipe the other night and served alongside a croque Monsieur for brunch the next day with friends! Everyone loved it. But for a bit of depth I added fresh chilli as well as mustard and fennel seeds! Delicious! Great recipe!

• eat, little bird 12 June 2012

I’m happy to hear that you liked this recipe! I like the sound of your additional ingredients, especially the fresh chilli, but the mustard and fennel seeds would have definitely added some more spice and aroma. This chutney would indeed be a nice accompaniment to cut through the richness of a Croque Monsieur. Thanks for popping by with your feedback – much appreciated!

15. Faye Hayward 5 September 2012

I am a total novice at cooking so i have to ask if the ‘cups’ mentioned in the recipe are the American measurements? I am determined to have a go at making this after such a beautiful photograph.

• eat, little bird 5 September 2012

Hello Faye,

This recipe is adapted from a Donna Hay magazine, which is an Australian publication using Australian measuring cups. My understanding is that Australian and UK measuring cups are the same, but they are slightly larger than American measuring cups.

It is commonly understood that:
      * 1 Australian/UK measuring cup is equivalent to 250 ml or 8 fl oz.
      * 1 American measuring cup is equivalent to 240 ml.

As you will see, the difference between the Australian/UK and American measuring cups is very small and would generally not make a big difference in cooking and baking. I have a mix of Australian/UK and American measuring cups and use them interchangeably – in fact, I’m not quite sure which is which!

Perhaps the measurement of tablespoons are more controversial. 1 Australian tablespoon is 20 ml, whereas 1 tablespoon in the US and UK is 15 ml. But to date, I haven’t found this to be problematic for me.

For this particular recipe, you would definitely be fine using either American measuring cups or Australian/UK measuring cups. It is a fairly easy recipe with very delicious results. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask :-)

I just made this cherry tomato relish again today and have put some photos on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/eatlittlebird

16. […] generous dollop of tomato sauce or ketchup (especially if you are eating it sans cutlery), but this Cherry Tomato Relish is also a fabulous […]

17. Kristen 19 January 2013

I made this chutney today but it hasnt thickened. It tastes great but just not thickened. Any suggestions on how I could fix it? I simmered it on low for about 1.5-2 hours. It’s reduced but not enough

• eat, little bird 19 January 2013

Hi Kristen,
      This chutney only needs about 10-20 minutes in high heat before it will thicken, so I’m not sure what might have gone wrong if you’ve had to cook it for so long. Perhaps you’ve used a small saucepan which means you will have to cook it for longer? If it hasn’t thickened after more than an hour of cooking, I’m not sure what you could do further. I would suggest leaving it to cool and see if it will thicken slightly upon cooling. I hope you will still be able to use this chutney.

18. Ali 21 January 2013

I made this the other day and loved it. Mine didn’t thicken either so added 3/4 teaspoon curry powder and thickened nicely. Yum – planning to add this one to my favorite recipe file!!

• eat, little bird 21 January 2013

I’m glad to hear that you like this recipe! I’m also surprised to read that your chutney didn’t thicken either … there must be some science behind it which I don’t know of. But I’m happy to hear that some curry powder did the trick – sounds delicious!

19. Holly Ekert 18 March 2013

Hi, I used this recipe for my year twelve Food Technolgy assessment task this year and I was quite glad with the results. I practised it at home before I had to make it (not that I needed to the recipe is quite straight forward) but the house smelled amazing! Thankyou very much, you have been a greatly delicious help.

• eat, little bird 19 March 2013

That’s wonderful to hear! I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe and that it worked for your assessment :-)

20. Mummy B 12 September 2013

Lovely, but big problem – how big is the cup? Would be so much better in ml or gs

21. Kate 15 October 2013

Hi there, how long would the relish keep for? Thanks!

• eat, little bird 15 October 2013

Hi Kate,
      So long as you keep the relish in a sterilised jar in the fridge, it should keep for at least a month. That’s the longest I’ve ever had to keep this relish in a fridge, although the jar was opened regularly during this time. Hope this helps.

• Jo 28 August 2015

I’ve kept the relish for more than 2 months in the fridge, used somewhat regularly, without any signs of mold or changes that would indicate that it had gone bad. still tasted great when I ate it. Usually I wouldn’t keep it that long (or rather it would get eaten long before then) but one year I made too much and got rather sick of it for a while.

22. Gina 27 April 2014

This is a wonderful recipe. Being Diabetic I cut the sugar by half but cherry tomatoes were so sweet that I will put even less sugar next time. Also put a big splash of Worchestshire sauce in. Mmmm lovely!

23. karen 21 August 2014

Made this today with some lovely tomatoes from my mother. It took much longer to cook than the recipe stated but as I do not mind stirring, that was no trouble. lovely taste.

24. […] roasted part was missing, but I did find a recipe for cherry tomato relish that looked like the kind of relish I know and love, and seemed very quick […]

25. Wendy 26 January 2015

I stumbled across this recipe looking for a use for my glut of cherry tomatoes! It looks great. I’m just wondering if you start the onions with a little bit of olive oil? Or do you just use a dry saucepan? Thankyou :)

• Eat, Little Bird 28 January 2015

Hello! Yes, you should start cooking the onions in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sorry this was omitted from the recipe above!

26. ASHOKE BHALLA 30 April 2015

Cherry Tomatoes getting to work now! Exciting recipe.