Waffles with Gruyère & Thyme

gruyere-thyme-waffles-3

Faced with some bits and pieces of cheese in the fridge, I thought I would try my hand at a savoury waffle for lunch today, and these waffles with Gruyère and fresh thyme were absolutely scrumptious! The cheese adds lovely savouriness to the waffles and pairs wonderfully with a simple green salad on the side, dressed lightly with a mustard vinaigrette.

You could use another hard cheese in place of the Gruyère, such as Emmental, Comté or perhaps a mature cheddar.

What started out as a fridge clean-out turned into a delightful meal. These savoury waffles were so tasty that I think they would be perfect at breakfast or brunch as an alternative to your usual sweet waffles, or anytime of that day for that matter! I’m happy to confirm that my waffle maker has indeed been a good investment with very many happy returns :-)

25 Comments

1. Sam-I-am 26 March 2012

Love both the idea and the look of these. I might try them out as supper for the kids soon and then as a chic accompaniement to a soup when I have guests over………… Great idea Creme!

• eat, little bird 27 March 2012

Oh that’s a fabulous idea – I think these waffles would be great with a bowl of soup!

2. serena 26 March 2012

Woooow! this looks fantastic … and you had a great idea!

• eat, little bird 27 March 2012

Thanks, Serena! I’m always happy if I can salvage something from the fridge and turn it into something that wows even me!

3. Amber 27 March 2012

yummmm

4. Jennifer (Delicieux) 28 March 2012

I’ve never tried savoury waffles, but these sound fantastic! I love the gorgeous heart shape too.

• eat, little bird 28 March 2012

I don’t think savoury waffles are very common, though they are quite popular in France. They’re surprisingly easy to make and are great as a main meal or as an accompaniment. My favourite are the Bacon & Chive Waffles which I love to have with roast chicken :-)

5. Caroline 28 March 2012

Oooh what a beautiful looking post!!! I love the images with the lettering all over it, and that board too! So glad you have time to play around now :-)

I recently bought a waffle iron and made a savoury one, and you are right, it’s perfect for any time of the day! Nom NOm! I like Sam’s idea of having it with soup. Will do that one for sure.

• eat, little bird 28 March 2012

Thanks, Carrie! It’s nice to have more play-time at the moment, something which I am obviously enjoying! :-)

Sam always has great ideas! I once had a soup in a Paris bistro which was served with waffles on the side. It was many, many years ago and, for a while, I would recreate the same meal at home, both out of taste and to remind myself of that lovely Parisian meal. I’m grateful to be reminded of this wonderful combination!

6. Liz Headon 28 March 2012

That sounds like an ideal lunch for a spring day. I love that grater – takes me right back to my childhood !

• eat, little bird 28 March 2012

Hi Liz,

It is indeed a lovely meal for this time of year. And I love this grater too :-) It’s well-used, this one!

7. The Food Sage 28 March 2012

These look waffly wonderful. I’ve recently fallen head of heels for Gruyère. Thanks for sharing this neat trick for using up the last of it!

• eat, little bird 29 March 2012

I think Gruyère is an acquired taste for most people, but I absolutely love it :-) My fridge raids are not always so successful so I’m glad this was something I could blog about!

• The Food Sage 1 April 2012

I feel a fridge raid coming on … got to be some dynamite bits and bobs in there, somewhere.

• eat, little bird 1 April 2012

Ooh I hope so! My mum has a talent of creating a gourmet meal from random bits and pieces in the fridge. Sadly, I don’t think I inherited that talent!

8. Anita Menon 28 March 2012

what Mind blowing photos!! Simply fantastic. I keep going through your older posts too. I learn so much by coming her. Your aesthetics are just superb

• eat, little bird 29 March 2012

Oh thank you, Anita! That means so much to me :-) And I’m happy to hear that you like going through my older posts – sometimes I wonder if anyone still browses through them so I’m delighted to hear that someone still does :-) Thank you again for your compliments. You’ve brightened my day :-)

9. lynn @ the actor's diet 29 March 2012

savory waffles rock! i made one out of hummus recently:

• eat, little bird 1 April 2012

Oh I love hummus but never knew you could cook with it. Your waffles sound really delicious!

10. I adore gruyere! A waffle iron is one of those kitchen gadgets that I’d LOVE to have, but just can’t seem to justify. Finding more recipes like this might just help me make the leap to Waffle Iron Ownership! Great post!

• eat, little bird 2 April 2012

Thanks SarahKate! I felt the same way you did initially about a waffle maker. And even as I bought a fairly cheap one, I wondered about how often I would pull it out of its box in the cellar. But strangely and thankfully, I have used it more often than I thought I would. And savoury waffles give me even more chances to confirm that, to date, it has been a good purchase :-)

11. Quynh Anh 11 April 2012

Did you organize the setting and take all the photos yourself? I love them but it looks like it takes some effort to have a post with interesting pix like this. :)

• eat, little bird 11 April 2012

Yes, I do all of the styling and take the photos myself :-) The photo with the ingredients takes a bit of time to get everything in the right place, but I think about 15 minutes to arrange everything and take a few photos? So yes, it takes a bit of time but it’s also fun at the same time :-)

12. Danelle 5 June 2013

These look fantastic! I’m thinking I’d buying a waffle maker but can’t decide between the two types – a Belgian one and one that makes waffles like in your picture! Do you have any advice?

• eat, little bird 10 June 2013

Hi Danelle,
      I felt I should have done more research before purchasing mine, but it was an impulse buy and, thankfully, one which I haven’t regretted. I think it mostly comes down to personal preference.

A Belgian waffle maker will generally produce thicker and bigger waffles, whereas the heart-shaped ones tend to make thinner waffles.

My heart-shaped waffle maker is a cheap and cheerful model; it is not made of cast-iron or anything fancy. Yet, it produces nice, crisp waffles which I think comes down to the batter which you use and just playing with the heat settings.

Perhaps the main disadvantage of the heart-shaped model is that it is a bit cutesy, but then, it’s nice to make something which you can’t find normally in the shops or restaurants.

Good luck deciding!