Thai Sticky Chicken

24 October 2011

Post image for Thai Sticky Chicken

This is another fabulous recipe from Rachel Allen’s Home Cooking.

In fact, this was the first recipe I tried from this book. I love marinated and grilled chicken and am always on the lookout for new recipes, though I think my mum makes the best version which I have tried endlessly to recreate and which comes close but, of course, it can’t quite compare. Like most Vietnamese mothers, mine works from taste memory rather than from written recipes, yet her dishes seem to sing each and every time. Sadly, I think I missed out on that gene and am trying to make up for it by learning from different recipes and lots of trial and error in the kitchen.

Rachel Allen’s recipe for Thai Sticky Chicken is truly delicious and it simply has to be because the ingredients are exactly what one wants in an Asian-inspired marinade. Her recipe is really quick to put together – simply chop up a few ingredients, put everything into the food processor and blend away. Place the chicken pieces in a large freezer bag and pour the marinade over, leaving the chicken to marinate preferably overnight. But if time is tight, 30 minutes is also good. The recipe calls for chicken drumsticks but you can also use chicken thighs or chicken Maryland pieces (thigh with drumstick attached) for a more substantial meal.

This is something I like to make during the week, usually the night before so that I can come home after a long day at work, take the chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature while the oven is pre-heating. And while it is in the oven, I simply turn on the rice cooker. As the chicken can be a bit salty from the fish sauce, it goes perfectly with steamed jasmine rice and maybe a small salad on the side.

And speaking of fish sauce … if your kitchen is in a separate room with a door, you would be best advised to close the door as the aroma from the roasting chicken can be quite pungent. As much as I love the taste of fish sauce, its smell can be a little strong for some. That said, the smell is not that bad, but after reading some comments online about this recipe, I thought it was interesting that some people were put off by the smell, even though they loved the dish. Let me know what you think ;-)

{Please click on the image twice to view the recipe in full size}

Cvasbinder 25 October 2011 at 3:03 pm

This looks like a great recipe – unforunately your font is so small and light that I can’t read the ingrediants!

eat little bird 25 October 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hello! If you click on the recipe, it should open into a larger file where you can also zoom in if necessary. Please let me know if this helps, otherwise I can make some adjustments later :-)

Julie 25 October 2011 at 4:17 pm

Hello!
It looks delicious. Could you tell me what fish sauce is and what that would be called in France?
Thank you!
Julie

eat little bird 25 October 2011 at 5:36 pm

Hello Julie! I think the French call fish sauce by the Vietnamese name, which is nuoc mam. It is sometimes labelled sauce de poisson but I don’t think the French use this term. You can find nuoc mam at any Asian grocery store, and some supermarkets (such as Intermarché and Monoprix) also stock nuoc mam in the aisle selling Asian food. Where do you live in France? If you need help finding some Asian ingredients, please let me know and I can try to help :-)

Manuela 25 October 2011 at 4:57 pm

This sounds appetizing and the picture makes it so too! I have to agree that although the recipe format is attractive and fun, it is very hard to read. I am most likely to pass on making it because of it. Even by clicking on it, I still have to squint hard to read it. A slight turn off. I get that it’s meant to be different and design/hip but it’s missing on the goal of recipe posting which is ease of reading and writing it down to redo.

eat little bird 25 October 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hi Manuela, many thanks for your feedback. I guess the recipe format is a different experience for everyone, particularly since I have a large screen which makes it easier to read! Also, on my computer, if you click on the recipe, it will open into a bigger format which you can again zoom into. But I suppose this might not be the case for all computers. I will test out the format on different computers to see what changes I can make – no point publishing them in this format if it makes it difficult for people to use! So again, thank you again for your comments!

ReaderA 25 October 2011 at 6:12 pm

When I click on the recipe, I get a full image that is automatically re-sized to fit by my browser. In Firefox, all I have to do is click on it again, and the text becomes readable at the image’s true dimensions. In IE, you might have to save the image to read it, but it’s still readable at its true dimensions. I think a person’s inability to read it rest solely upon their lack of know-how.

eat little bird 26 October 2011 at 12:16 am

I’m happy to hear that you are able to view my recipes as intended :-) Thanks for your feedback concerning Firefox as I haven’t been able to test my recipes with that browser. I use Safari at home and IE at work, and I’m able to view my recipes on both browsers, though you do have to click on the image twice to get the true dimensions. However, I think this is not apparent to everyone. I will fiddle around with the settings and hopefully arrive at a suitable solution for everyone! I have already changed the font and colour of the recipe so hopefully that is a start … :-)

Jill 26 October 2011 at 10:12 pm

Errr….is 220 degrees actually right? This sounds so amazing, I’m making it tonight but 35 minutes at 220 sound kind of low. (Also possible I have no idea what I’m talking about since i bake chicken thighs, like, never.)

eat little bird 26 October 2011 at 10:33 pm

Hi Jill, the recipe specifies 220° Celsius, which is 425° Fahrenheit. Hope this clears the confusion!

Jill 26 October 2011 at 11:15 pm

Oh wow. Is now a poor time to admit that I teach reading comprehension for a living?

eat little bird 26 October 2011 at 11:19 pm

LOL! You are probably used to reading recipes using Fahrenheit so I think you are excused ;-) Actually, thank you for pointing this out to me. I will try to show some conversions in my future recipes so the recipes will be easier for you to follow. Hope this dish works out well for you!

At Anna's Kitchen Table 27 October 2011 at 9:54 pm

Ooh, that chicken looks so good!!

Annie 1 December 2011 at 11:13 am

Hi, I’m a Vietnamese-American living in France, who recently discovered your blog and looks forward to future posts. The simple recipe for Thai Sticky Chicken turned out wonderfully (even without the coriander)–thank you.

eat, little bird 1 December 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hi Annie! Many thanks for your feedback! I’m happy to hear that this recipe worked out well for you, even without the coriander. That’s great to know that I can make this marinade without coriander which can sometimes be hard to find in Zurich. Thank you for visiting my blog :-)

Deena 8 February 2012 at 12:36 am

Made and loved! I used chicken breasts and thighs; broiled to brown them at the end of cooking. So much flavour!

eat, little bird 9 February 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hi Deena! Thank you for letting me know that you tried this recipe. I’m so happy to hear that you loved it!! I haven’t tried this marinade with chicken breasts so it’s good to know that it works well. I also like to bake it until it is golden and crispy, and a few minutes under the broil or grill is a great tip!

Prontip 7 November 2012 at 2:47 am

This reminds me of a dish my mom makes. She’s Thai. Thanks for sharing!

natalie 18 May 2013 at 5:43 pm

I really love the look of this. I’ve recently taken on the challenge to cook a roast chicken once a week to a new recipe and write a blog about it. I came across this in my hunt for inspiration. Have a look at my blog so far justaroastchicken.wordpress.com
Thanks for sharing

eat, little bird 22 May 2013 at 9:14 pm

What a great premise for a blog! And also a great food challenge in general which I’m sure would mean many delicious meals in your home. Roast chicken would have to be one of my favourite meals so I look forward to reading your blog :-)