Blueberry & Lemon Cake

17 November 2013

Post image for Blueberry & Lemon Cake

Strangely, I have always associated blueberries with muffins. And pancakes. Of course, you can eat them just as they are, as nature intended, but I’m sure most of us are more acquainted with blueberries in cakes and bakes.

This Blueberry & Lemon Cake tastes like one big blueberry muffin which, I think, makes it a perfect contender as a sweet option at breakfast or brunch. Like any good blueberry muffin, this cake is light and moist, owing in part to the crème fraîche and lemon zest in the batter.

blueberry lemon cake 2.collage

I used to make this cake in a loaf tin but recently discovered that it looks so much prettier in a fancy cake tin. The blueberries inevitably settle to the bottom of the cake but, once inverted, this plain cake is transformed into a berry-studded beauty. So use whatever cake tin you like – a small Bundt tin is also a great idea – but make sure there is about a 2 cm (1 inch) space between the batter and the top of the cake tin to prevent any overflow, and adjust the baking time accordingly.

blueberry-lemon-cake-recipe-1

You can substitute the crème fraîche with plain natural yoghurt.

You can also substitute the vanilla bean paste for the more commonly available vanilla extract. I recently splurged on a jar of the former and find that it gives more of an aromatic kick than normal vanilla extract. Plus, I happen to love the specks of vanilla bean in the cake.

Nkem 17 November 2013 at 4:42 pm

Oh my! Adding this to my list Along with the lemon friands!

eat, little bird 17 November 2013 at 5:00 pm

Sounds like there will be lots of nice things coming out of your kitchen soon :-) Hope you will enjoy these recipes!

Alexandra 17 November 2013 at 5:41 pm

Just checked my pantry if I have everything your recipe calls for… unfortunately my pantry is not in for a quick Sunday afternoon baking session. Nevertheless your cake sounds delicious and the missing blue berries are already on the shopping list …

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:22 am

I hope you will enjoy this recipe! It’s a lovely way of using blueberries.

Eva in the Kitchen 17 November 2013 at 7:50 pm

Wow, this looks delicious! I used to make a similar cake quite often and I really wonder why I haven’t made it for such a long time. Thanks for the reminder ;-)

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:24 am

You’re welcome! I also have lots of old favourites which I love to return to. This is one of them :-)

Eli 17 November 2013 at 10:20 pm

BEAUTIFUL

I am going to find room for this in my next news letter….

LOVE LOVE

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:24 am

Thank you!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar 18 November 2013 at 12:07 am

This cake looks positively perfect! I love lemon and blueberry together!

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:25 am

Yes, it’s a lovely combination, isn’t it?

anita menon 18 November 2013 at 7:31 am

oh so beautiful. Feels like summer again. someone once gave me a tip to coat chocolate chips with flour before immersing them in the cake batter to keep them from sinking at the bottom. I wonder it this trick would work with the blueberries too.

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi Anita,
I’ve read about that tip too, although it has never really worked for me. I think it’s just simply due to gravity? I’m sure there’s also a bit of science involved, maybe something to do with the density of the batter …

Rushi 18 November 2013 at 9:40 am

Oooooh such a pretty cake, I could dive into a slice right now. Thanh do you think frozen berries would work in case you can’t get your hands on fresh one?
xx

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:29 am

Hi Rushi,
Yes, frozen berries would definitely work in this cake. In fact, it’s probably an easier option as fresh blueberries are not always available year round.

thelittleloaf 18 November 2013 at 10:44 am

Gorgeous flavours and beautiful pictures. I love blueberry pancakes but love them even more in cake! :-)

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 11:29 am

I think I prefer blueberries in cake form too … but blueberry pancakes come a very close second!

Paula 18 November 2013 at 5:22 pm

Big blueberry muffin sounds perfect!!! You have find the perfect description to make people feel desire :P

I love blueberries, but whenever I buy them, just eat them like that. Well… not always! :P
Like you, I associate blueberries to muffins and pancakes, but also to any dessert with lemon or white chocolate :)

Well, maybe this weekend we have for breakfast your cake at home, you’ll know ;)

Have a nice week, and thanks for showing some beautiful photos on a rainy Monday :P

Paula 18 November 2013 at 5:29 pm

Hey, me again!! I was writting the recipe on my notebook (yeah, very modern and updated, that’s me), and I liked the formar, somewhat different to other times.

But… I guess it’s not a mistake, but… 125 g flour makes you 1 and 1/2 cup? I guess so, but it surprises me, my measure cup is full with 130-140 grams.

Yes, I’m a nuisance, today I bother you wit two comments. Horrible Monday! :P

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hi Paula,
You’re not a nuisance at all! I owe you a big thank you for noticing my mistake! The recipe should read “225g plain flour”, which is roughly equivalent to 1 & 1/2 cups of plain flour. The cups I use are standard US & UK measuring cups. Weight measure is always more accurate but a lot of readers are more familiar with cup measurements, so I try to provide this where possible. Of course, measuring ingredients in cups is not as accurate as people fill and pack their cups differently. I’ve updated the recipe above. Thanks again for letting me know :-)

Please let me know if you try this recipe. It will be a nice change from the usual muffins and pancakes :-) And I think cake at breakfast is a fabulous idea!

Paula 19 November 2013 at 6:50 pm

Oh, I’m worse than a nuisance. You make the recipe looks cute, and I screw you up :P
See how am I insufferable? :P Just kidding this time :P

I also use the grams (not if I have lazy day), but seeing that it didn’t coincide, I had the doubt.

I’ll tell you this weekend, now that I know how to measure fluor :P Thanks!

Nkem 18 November 2013 at 9:57 pm

My cake is in the oven RIGHT now! I’ll let you know how it pans out :)

eat, little bird 18 November 2013 at 10:15 pm

Fingers crossed! I hope you will enjoy this cake :-)

Nkem 19 November 2013 at 12:12 am

It’s out! It’s a roaring success! I have inhaled two slices already (much to my shame! ) How can I send you a picture?

eat, little bird 19 November 2013 at 5:07 pm

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! I would love to see a photo! You can email me at thanh[at]eatlittlebird.com

The Food Sage 29 November 2013 at 2:03 am

I adore cakes with citrus and this one looks as if it has a lovely crumbly texture. Will put it on the “to bake” list, which i plan to attack over summer. Thanks for sharing.

Dina 10 December 2013 at 12:43 am