Nothing beats hot and fresh cinnamon doughnuts, and this is an easy and delicious recipe using yeast to produce light and fluffy doughnuts rolled in cinnamon sugar.
- Author: eatlittlebird.com
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Makes about 20
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Australian
- Heat the milk in a large saucepan with a sugar thermometer until it reaches 37°C (98°F).
- Melt the butter in the milk.
- Whisk in the sugar and eggs.
- Next, whisk in the yeast.
- Measure the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour in the milk mixture and whisk until smooth. The batter should be fairly thick.
- Cover with a teatowel and set aside in a warm place to prove for 45-60 minutes or until it has doubled or tripled in volume.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the batter and release the air.
- Fill a large saucepan with oil until it is one-third full and heat until it is 165°C (330°F).
- Grab a handful of the batter and squeeze balls of dough through your thumb and index finger into the oil. Do this just above the oil so that the oil does not splatter when the dough hits the oil.
- Repeat until you have about 5 or 6 doughnuts, but do not crowd the pan.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until golden brown. The donuts will tend to turn themselves in the oil as they are cooking.
- To test if the inside is cooked, insert a metal skewer through the centre of a doughnut.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oil and tip it straight into a large plate of granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Make sure the donuts are well-coated.
- Serve with strawberry jam on the side.
- Serving Size: Per donut
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 35.3mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 24.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 42.8mg