Make these delicious Aebleskivers (Ebelskivers) or Danish Pancakes which are lightly scented with cardamom. A classic Danish recipe with step-by-step photos.
For the Aebleskivers
The traditional Danish recipe for aebleskivers contains only ground cardamom for a gentle spice and aroma, and which is common in many Scandinavian baking recipes. Some variations which I recommend include:
* omitting the ground cardamom for plain-flavoured aebleskivers
* adding 1 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and ground cardamom
* adding 1 teaspoon of Nutella to each aebleskiver just before turning them the first time in the pan
Aebleskiver pans come in different sizes, so you may have to play with the quantities when filling the pan, and also adjust your cooking time accordingly.
FILLING THE AEBLESKIVER PAN
To fill the aebleskiver pans, I like to use ice-cream scoops so that each aebleskiver is the same size, but you can also use a measuring jug or ladle. My Danish friend uses a plastic squeeze bottle to easily top up the batter in Step 18 above.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF YEAST
* If you are using fresh yeast, you will need about one block (40 g fresh yeast = 14 g instant dried yeast = 4 teaspoons instant dried yeast).
* Please note that there is a difference between instant yeast (also called instant dried yeast or fast-action dried yeast) and dried yeast (also called active dry yeast). If you are not sure what type of yeast you have, please check the packaging for instructions on how to use the yeast.
* With instant yeast, you can add it directly to the flour mixture without having to activate it first.
* With dried yeast, you will need to activate it first (usually in some warm liquid).
All recipes on this website state temperatures for a regular oven (i.e. a conventional oven without fan). If you have a convection oven with a fan, please consult the manufacturer’s handbook on how to adjust the temperature and baking time accordingly.
To convert from cups to grams, and vice-versa, please see this handy Conversion Chart for Basic Ingredients.