Crispy Tofu with Spicy Tomato Sauce
Golden and Crispy Tofu served with a Vietnamese Spicy Tomato Sauce. This dish will win over both vegetarians and meat-lovers alike! Use either silken tofu or firm tofu.
- Author: eatlittlebird.com
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 to 3
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 300 g silken tofu
- about 1 cup cornflour (cornstarch) for dusting
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 shallot or small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3–5 sprigs of spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
- coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a small wok or saucepan to 180°C (350°F). You will need about 3 cm (1 inch) depth of oil.
- Cut the tofu into about 3 cm pieces and blot them with paper towels.
- Place the cornflour (cornstarch) into a soup plate or bowl.
- Coat the tofu pieces in the cornflour and shake off any excess.
- Deep-fry the tofu for a few minutes until they are crispy and lightly coloured.
- Remove the tofu with a slotted spoon and drain them on a wire rack over a tray or plate.
- In a clean saucepan, heat about a tablespoon of oil and add the garlic, shallot and chilli.
- Cook for a few minutes until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and fish sauce. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes on medium-high heat until the tomatoes have softened and the sauce has thickened a little.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Add the spring onions and coriander.
- Arrange the tofu on a plate and spoon over the tomato sauce.
- Garnish with some more chopped coriander.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 8.9g
- Sodium: 277.9mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 53.1g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 2.3mg