Rustic Bacon & Cheddar Bread
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) bacon or lardon
- 320 g (11 ½ oz) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- 200 ml full cream milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line a 13 x 23 cm ( 5 x 9 in) loaf tin with baking paper.
- Chop the bacon or lardon into small cubes and fry in a little oil until they are just crisp. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add the cheese and bacon (or lardon), and mix well.
- Pour the milk into a measuring jug. Add the eggs, mustard and oil, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until everything has just come together.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack and serve warm or cold.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 520
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 1466.2mg
- Fat: 24.7g
- Carbohydrates: 39.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 34.7g
- Cholesterol: 92.1mg