Potato Churros with Red Pepper Sauce
- Author: eatlittlebird.com
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 20 churros
- To make the churros batter, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the potato flour, plain flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix everything until it comes together. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until you have a thick batter.
- Fit a large piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle. Place the batter into the piping bag, and then leave in the fridge to chill.
- To make the red pepper sauce, preheat the grill to high heat. Cut the capsicums in half and remove the seeds. Place them on a lightly oiled baking tray, skin side up, and grill for 15-20 minutes, or until the skins have blackened and the flesh is tender. Place the capsicums into a plastic bag (such as a freezer bag), and leave them to steam for about 20 minutes.
- When the capsicums are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and discard them. Place the flesh into a food processor with the garlic, olive oil and cherry tomatoes. Blitz until you have a smooth sauce and taste for seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or deep-fryer until it reaches 170°C (340°F).
- Pipe the batter directly into the hot oil and use a pair of scissors to cut each churro when it is about 10cm long. Fry the churros for about 5 minutes, or until they are lightly golden in colour, turning them once or twice to get an even colouring. You may need to cook the churros in 2 or 3 batches.
- Drain the churros on some kitchen paper, sprinkle with a little smoked paprika, and serve them while they are still hot with the red pepper sauce.
- Serving Size: Nutritional info per churros
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 68.7mg
- Fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 8.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 26.7mg