Madeleines with Nutella
- Author: Thanh | Eat, Little Bird
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Makes 12 cakes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: French
Easy and delicious Madeleines with Nutella. This is a classic French madeleine recipe with tips on how to make madeleines perfectly every time.
For step-by-step photos on how to make madeleines, please see my recipe for French Madeleines.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on low heat and leave aside to cool.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a KitchenAid), whisk together the eggs and the caster sugar.
- Add the plain flour, baking powder, the cooled and melted butter, and the lemon zest.
- Whisk until everything is well incorporated and the batter is thick in consistency.
- Leave the batter to rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 270°C (518°F).
- Generously grease the madeleine mould with butter, even if it is non-stick.
- Place a small amount of batter in each mould, just enough to cover the bottom.
- Then add a drop of Nutella in the centre of the batter, using a small teaspoon. It is best if the Nutella is cold so it is easier to manage. One trick is to place a tablespoon of Nutella into a small plastic bag (such as a freezer bag) and then snip off the corner and use this like a piping bag to squeeze small amounts of Nutella onto the batter. Try not to use too much Nutella, otherwise it will sink to the bottom of the cake.
- Cover the Nutella with some more batter to fill the mould.
- Place the tray in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 210°C (410°F).
- Bake until the madeleines have puffed up and are golden brown on top. For large madeleine moulds, this might take about 7 minutes. For mini madeleine moulds, they only take a few minutes, so it is best just to keep a diligent eye on the oven.
- Leave them to cool on a wire rack (the ridge-side facing down), and serve them warm or cold.
All recipes on this website state temperatures for a regular oven (i.e. a conventional oven without fan). If you have a convection oven with a fan, please consult the manufacturer’s handbook on how to adjust the temperature and baking time accordingly.
To convert from cups to grams, and vice-versa, please see this handy Conversion Chart for Basic Ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Sodium: 19.9mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 73.4mg