Lemon Drizzle Friands
Recipe for Lemon Drizzle Friands with step-by-step photos. Friands are similar to the French financiers and are made with ground almonds and egg whites for a light and fluffy cake. Recipe adapted from Katie Quinn Davies, Delicious Magazine (Australian edition), February 2013, page 80
- Author: eatlittlebird.com
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 12 cakes
- Category: Cakes
- Cuisine: Australian
For the friands
For the lemon icing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and use some of the butter to lightly grease the friand tin. Let the butter cool slightly for later in the recipe.
- Sift the flour and 250 g (1 2/3 cup) icing sugar into a large bowl, and stir through the ground almonds.
- Place the eggwhites into another large bowl and whisk until they are white and frothy.
- Gently mix the frothy eggwhites into the flour mixture.
- Add the melted butter and zest of one lemon, and stir everything together.
- Fill the friand tin with the batter until each hole is 2/3 full. Using an ice-cream scoop will help you to evenly divide the batter.
- Bake the friands in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until they are lightly golden and a skewer inserted in the middle of a friand comes out clean.
- Let the friands cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, zest and squeeze the juice from one lemon. Mix 225 g (1 1/2 cup) icing sugar together with enough lemon juice until you have a soft, runny consistency.
- Drizzle the lemon icing over each friand and garnish with some lemon zest.
- Serving Size: Nutritional info per cake
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 21.2g
- Sodium: 31.9mg
- Fat: 16.4g
- Carbohydrates: 29.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 28.7mg