Transform any leftover, stale bread into a delicious and decadent French Toast! Easy French Toast recipe with step-by-step photos.
For the French Toast
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
* Make the custard the night before and keep it covered in the fridge.
* Keep the French Toast warm in an oven on a wire rack at 100°C/212°F.
WHAT TYPE OF BREAD TO USE
I recommend using thickly sliced bread to make French Toast, such as the following:
* French baguette
* Brioche Bread or French Brioche Loaf
* Challah or Butterzopf
* Japanese Milk Bread (Shokupan) or white loaf bread
* Fruit Bread
* thin slices of stale bread work too, but you will need to adjust the cooking time.
COOKING WITH KIDS
This is a great recipe for kids to make on their own, or to make for kids. To help you scale down the recipe, here is what you need for one portion of French Toast:
* 1 thick slice of bread or 2 thin slices of bread
* 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
* 1 egg
* 1-2 teaspoons caster sugar
* dash of vanilla extract
* pinch of ground cinnamon
* pinch of ground nutmeg
To convert from cups to grams, and vice-versa, please see this handy Conversion Chart for Basic Ingredients.