Soft and deliciously fragrant Cardamom Buns which will fill your home with the aroma of a Danish bakery! Recipe with step-by-step photos.
For the Dough
For the Cardamom-Sugar Filling
For the Topping
You will need approx. 3 hours to make the Swedish Cinnamon Buns
To Make the Dough
First Proofing Period
For the Cinnamon Filling
To Roll out the Dough
To Shape the Cinnamon Buns
Second Proofing Period
Bake the Cinnamon Buns
WHAT TYPE OF CARDAMOM TO USE
* For the best (and most authentic) results, use freshly-ground cardamom seeds (also called decorticated cardamom seeds). Simply grind them to a fine powder to use in the dough and filling. Use a more coarse grind for sprinkling on top of the wreath.
* Alternatively, use the same quantity of regular ground cardamom, or add more to taste.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
To make the Cardamom Buns the night before:
* Make the dough as per the recipe until it has doubled in size. Without deflating the dough, place it in the fridge to continue proving overnight. The next day, proceed with the rest of the recipe.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF FLOUR
* For Swiss readers: I use Zopfmehl (or farine pour tresse) when making bread and enriched dough.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF YEAST
* Please note that there is a difference between instant yeast (also called instant dried yeast or fast-action dried yeast) and dried yeast (also called active dry yeast). If you are not sure what type of yeast you have, please check the packaging for instructions on how to use the yeast.
* With instant yeast, you can add it directly to the flour mixture without having to activate it first.
* With dried yeast, you will need to activate it first (usually in some warm liquid).
PROOFING THE DOUGH
Dough needs a warm environment for the yeast to activate and cause the dough to rise. If you don’t have a warm place in your home, try one of the following ideas:
* In the oven with the oven light switched on (works only for some ovens).
* In the oven with a tray of boiling water on the bottom shelf.
* In the oven or a steamer oven at a low temperature of about 25-40°C (77-104°F).
All recipes on this website state temperatures for a regular oven (i.e. a conventional oven without fan). If you have a convection oven with a fan, please consult the manufacturer’s handbook on how to adjust the temperature and baking time accordingly.
To convert from cups to grams, and vice-versa, please see this handy Conversion Chart for Basic Ingredients.
View the recipe online: https://eatlittlebird.com/cardamom-buns/