- Marinating Time: 30 mins
- Author: Thanh | Eat, Little Bird
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 3 to 4
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
An easy Butter Chicken recipe which the whole family will enjoy! Make this delicious curry with step-by-step photos.
For the marinade
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chillies (i.e. pure chilli powder)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, coarsely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 kg (2 lb) chicken breast fillets, cut into large cubes
For the sauce
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 500 ml (2 cups) tomato passata
- 500 ml (2 cups) double cream or thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2–3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
Make the marinade
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients.
- Add the chicken.
- Mix well to ensure that all of the chicken pieces are well coated.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, 3 hours if you have time, or overnight is best.
Cook the chicken
- Heat some oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken in batches until they are lightly brown all over. The chicken pieces do not need to be cooked through completely at this stage.
Make the sauce
- Heat some oil in a large skillet or pan.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes until they have softened.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients. At this stage, the sauce will look pink in colour.
- Let the sauce simmer gently for a few minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces to the sauce and give everything a good stir. The marinade from the chicken will start to mix with the sauce to give a nice golden colour.
- Simmer on low-medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle the Butter Chicken with coriander (cilantro) just before serving.
- Serve with steamed Basmati rice and/or Yoghurt Flatbreads.