Asian Braised Beef Short Ribs
Meltingly tender Asian Braised Beef Short Ribs, perfect for entertaining or a comforting family meal.
- Author: eatlittlebird.com
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1–2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 kg (3.5 lb) beef short ribs
- 2 large brown onions, thickly sliced
- 4 cm (2 inch) piece of ginger, coarsely grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1–2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (light or dark)
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- red chillies, finely sliced
Instructions for Stove Top and Oven
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F) (without fan).
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan (which has a fitted lid) over medium-high heat.
- Sear the short ribs until they are browned and golden on all sides. You may need to do this in batches.
- Remove the ribs to a large dish and set aside.
- Turn the heat down.
- Add the onions, ginger and garlic to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the Chinese five spice powder and cook for about a minute.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, chicken stock, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Return the short ribs to the pan, along with any juices which have settled in the bowl.
- Cut a piece of baking or parchment paper to fit the pan, and cut a small hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape. Place the baking paper directly on top of the stew – this helps to keep everything submerged while it’s cooking and to prevent the loss of too much moisture.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven for about 2.5 to 3 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone and a spoon cuts through the meat easily. Alternatively, you can cook on the stove over very low heat.
- Use a slotted spoon to gently remove the ribs to a large dish.
- Skim off as much fat as possible from the sauce in the pan.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat on the stove and let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until it has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning.
- Serve the ribs with steamed Jasmine rice and steamed broccoli (or other Asian greens), with the sauce drizzled over the meat.
- Garnish with coriander (cilantro) and red chillies.
Instructions for Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
- Follow Steps 1 to 10 as for cooking on the stove.
- Make sure the liquid is below the 2/3 mark on the pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 to 45 minutes. The length of time depends on how big your beef short ribs are. To err on the side of caution, I recommend checking for tenderness at 35 minutes. If a spoon does not cut through the meat easily, cook the meat for another 5 to 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the meat is cooked until tender, continue with Steps 13 to 18 as for cooking on the stove.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 575
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 949.3mg
- Fat: 29.3g
- Carbohydrates: 23.1g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 55.3g
- Cholesterol: 201.9mg