Pecan Spice Cake

28 May 2014

Post image for Pecan Spice Cake

Once upon a time, I had a terrible Tupperware addiction. Tupperware simply appealed to the Martha Stewart in me, the part of me which dreamt of cupboards filled with colour-coordinated containers, neatly stacked and labelled so that everything had its own special home. I spent hundreds of dollars on plastic Tupperware containers, ranging from the practical modular mates to the cute carry-all picnic sets, and the even cuter apple and grape containers. Once I was done organising the pantry and cupboards, I even invested in special containers to organise and optimise the fridge. It was mad.

A dear friend of mine in Australia also shared my fondness for Tupperware, her best investment probably being a red silicone flan mould which I think she uses exclusively for the recipe below. This recipe for Pecan Spice Cake actually comes from an Australian Tupperware catalogue which promoted the said silicone flan mould, along with a handy little nut chopper which my friend also acquired to chop the pecans in this recipe. It sounds a bit gimmicky, but given the number of times my friend has made this recipe, and how well-received this cake has always been, I would say that these Tupperware items have been a sound investment to date.

pecan spice cake 3

This is the cake which she used to make on those nights when we would gather mid-week to catch the latest episode of the Amazing Race or The O.C. (those were the days!), or to merely moan about our jobs or the boys who were causing us to eat too many slices of this cake. But my clearest recollection of eating this cake was when she was recounting a visit to a fortune teller who told her that she would soon meet the love of her life, some bloke called Brad and who drove a black BMW. She is now happily married with a beautiful child, and I think Brad is still cruising around the streets of Brisbane somewhere!

As this is a Tupperware recipe, it is intended to be made in one of their silicone flan moulds. If my memory is correct, it is a rather wide mould, measuring approximately 26 cm (10 inches) wide. As I have used a smaller-sized cake tin, the cake is taller and requires a longer cooking time. Due to the almond meal and sour cream in the recipe, the cake is lovely and moist, with a layers of pecans and chocolate chips to add crunch and texture. It’s the perfect cake to linger over with a cup of coffee, and even better when you can share it with your best friend.

Anyone else here also a Tupperware fan?

P.S. As for my Tupperware collection? I still have most of what I bought 15 years ago, and I still love them :-) If you can afford Tupperware, it’s worth every penny.

Pecan Spice Cake
Recipe adapted from Tupperware

pecan-spice-cake-recipe 2

This recipe is a bit forgiving. I once discovered that I had no almond meal, so I instead used ground hazelnuts with great success. Another time, I didn’t have enough sour cream so I made up the difference with natural yoghurt.

Gourmet Getaways 28 May 2014 at 4:38 pm

You’re a great organizer! I’m sure Tupperware won’t mind giving you freebies (wink). Smart use of alternatives. Your pie looks gorgeous!

Julie
Gourmet Getaways

Eat, Little Bird 28 May 2014 at 5:19 pm

I’ve removed the photo in case readers might think I’m being sponsored by Tupperware … I wouldn’t mind some freebies but we’ve honestly run out of room!

Paula 28 May 2014 at 4:48 pm

Tupperware addiction?? That sounds fun. Or disturbing, I’m not sure!! :P
Wow, you have one for everything, and I have always to search among my tuppers to find the appropriate :

Well, I have to say that, using tuppers to organize the fridge sounds good. A perfectly organized fridge is my dream. Today is not possible with my boyf, nor say the day he lives with me!!

I love recipes that bring good memories, they’re so great and special!! Well, and it doesn’t bring me any memory, but I’m looking forward to try. The best is on top, I think, but I need to see the cut.

Have a nice week, Thanh!!
PD: I made your tahina cookies, I have to show you, don’t know how can I wait sooooo long.

Eat, Little Bird 28 May 2014 at 5:23 pm

Disturbing is how my husband would also describe it ;-) I loved using the Tupperware containers for my fridge but, unfortunately, fridges in Switzerland are much smaller than those in Australia, so I have had to sell them. On the positive side, Tupperware seems to retain their value quite well so I have had no problems selling those items which I can no longer use.

I wanted to take some photos of the cake with a slice cut, but my little boy woke up from his nap and it’s almost impossible to take food photos when he is around, unless you want little hands and feet in the photo as well ;-)

Oh and glad to hear that you enjoyed the tahini cookies! I absolutely love them.

P.S. Thanks for letting me know about the error in the recipe!

Andree-Anne @ singly scrumptious 28 May 2014 at 4:50 pm

That cake looks amazing! thanks for sharing :)

Vickie 28 May 2014 at 9:58 pm

Yum, pecans, chocolate & spice + cake made with sour cream – sounds pretty much perfect :)

Eat, Little Bird 29 May 2014 at 6:03 pm

You bet! ;-) Thanks to the sour cream, the cake keeps pretty well too.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar 29 May 2014 at 12:04 am

hahahaha “Tupperware addiction” I love that so much. This cake is so yummy looking – and sounding! I love it!

Eat, Little Bird 29 May 2014 at 6:19 pm

It really was an addiction! Or perhaps “obsession” would have been a better choice of word. But the fact that I still have most items today, and I still use them today, shows that they were a good purchase all of those years ago. Phew!

wendyb964 29 May 2014 at 5:25 am

I have some Tupperware from my mum in the 1960’s. They are still serviceable if a bit scratched. My flour(s) and sugar(s) are still in rectangular Tupperware. Wish I still had my cake taker and pie taker.

There are plenty of worse “addictions” than to Tupperware, lol. Though it IS a plastic-type product, it will last for eons.

Eat, Little Bird 29 May 2014 at 6:02 pm

There are indeed worse addictions than Tupperware … I feel better now ;-) I also have some pieces of vintage Tupperware from my husband’s family which I love. Most, if not all, are in perfect condition. I’m not always a fan of plastic, but Tupperware is a great quality product.

Carla 29 May 2014 at 4:23 pm

yummy yummy yummy i want a piece! Send it to me please. Thanks for this delicious Cake

Annie @Maebells 29 May 2014 at 5:17 pm

This looks phenomenal! Pecans and dark chocolate are my favorite! Pinned!

Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen 29 May 2014 at 9:26 pm

Looks amazing! Sadly, I don’t have any tupperware, although I usually store everything in glass. I wonder if there is glass tupperware? Hmm.. Anyways, I have to try this cake- Pinned!

Eat, Little Bird 29 May 2014 at 11:08 pm

I think for a brief while, there were some glass Tupperware containers for use in the fridge. I actually prefer to store food in glass containers, especially in the fridge. We don’t own a microwave so there’s actually no need for us to store food or leftovers in Tupperware containers. I toyed with the idea of using glass jars for my pantry but they don’t stack as well, nor do they come in neat sizes like plastic containers do. So my compromise these days is to use plastic Tupperware containers for the pantry and for packing food for the little one when we are out, but most food for the fridge is stored in glass containers.

Rushi 30 May 2014 at 10:27 am

Thanh I had a big smile on my face when I read that you don’t own a microwave because I don’t own one either so I’m not alone :D Anyhoo getting back to the cake, yum it looks delicious. I love using nuts in cakes because they’re so moreish. I’m thinking of making this for a potluck and then for my mom when she comes over…. Speaking of Tupperware, a friend of mine has this super handy salad dressing holder and I’ve been dying to get my hands on one.
Hope all’s well on your end.
xx

Eat, Little Bird 30 May 2014 at 2:48 pm

Hi Rushi,
A lot of people are surprised when they notice that there is no microwave in our kitchen. In fact, when we had our child, many commented that we would have to finally cave in and buy one because, apparently, you need a microwave to heat food for your child. I’m not sure what’s wrong with heating food on the stove or in the oven, except it might take 5 minutes compared to 5 seconds. Maybe we would have a microwave if space was not an issue, but I’m glad we’ve been able to manage just fine without one to date :-) Hope you will enjoy this cake. I’m eating a slice right now …

Rushi 3 June 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hi Thanh,
My cake is in the oven as we speak. I caved in and decided it’s better to do a test run ;) I don’t mind heating food on the stove or even in the oven, my mom did and so did my grandma and I’m happy to say that I’ve managed fine without a microwave. I doubt I’d buy one even if space wasn’t an issue, probably get myself a nice ice cream maker and a kitchen aid instead, he he he.

Eat, Little Bird 4 June 2014 at 5:50 pm

Ooh I hope you enjoyed the cake! And yes, I’d choose a KitchenAid over a microwave any day!!

Involtini di Peperone 6 June 2014 at 8:25 pm

Lovely story!! I remember my childhood marked by Tupperware! There were shows almost every month in my house or in the neighborhood!! :)
If this cake can get bad thoughts away (of course the worst thoughts are connected with heart pains!) I should make tons of it! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Eat, Little Bird 8 June 2014 at 12:19 pm

Sadly, I only ever attended 1 or 2 Tupperware parties. Although, if I had attended more, it would have been quite dangerous for my bank account! But I bought most of my Tupperware directly through a rep who always gave me little gifts :-) Hope you are not nursing a broken heart but, if you are, this cake will make you feel better :-)

Cecilia 7 June 2014 at 10:59 am

I made this cake last weekend as a treat for parent’s day, but I used walnuts instead of pecans because we grow them here. Pecans are terribly expensive… Nice cake, we ate it warm with ice cream on Sunday and it kept moist for three days until the kids finished it. I reminded me of a cake I used to make often – pecan raisin coffee cake. Tomorrow we are having friends over for a barbecue and I am making sticky date cake with butterscotch sauce. It also keeps really well.
I must say I have never been that enamoured with Tupperware, Nana had some useful pieces but I don’t remember my mum having any. As for the microwave, we do have one and my husband uses it to reheat his tea that he often forgets to drink and I use it to heat the kid’s doudous which have rice or some type of material that retains heat. Other than that we don’t really use it very much. Thanks for the post, I love trying new recipes.

Eat, Little Bird 8 June 2014 at 12:24 pm

I’m so glad you tried this recipe and that it worked well with walnuts! I’m loving the sound of the pecan raisin coffee cake …

It sounds like the microwave has some limited functions, but at least you are finding ways to use it, especially with the doudous. We have a friend who’s baby had colic and they also found respite in such doudous.

Enjoy the sticky date cake – your friends are so lucky!

Cecilia 9 June 2014 at 11:26 am

The sticky date cake is lovely- quite addictive and huge so lots of leftovers. I might even freeze some it for a time when I don’t have time to make anything.

I forgot – I make the caramel in the microwave foe the chocolate caramel slice. It take a little longer but it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and I don’t have to stand over the stove stirring. Very important if one is making a load of cakes for the school cake stall!

My nine year old still has her doudou heated in the microwave….

Eat, Little Bird 13 June 2014 at 10:10 pm

I didn’t know you could make caramel in the microwave! It almost sounds foolproof.

That sounds very sweet that you still heat your nine year old’s doudou. Must be so comforting for her :-) Our son loves to suck his doudou’s hands so, as you can imagine, it smells absolutely terrible after a few days! So we have two on rotation. Hopefully, one day, he will just be happy to cuddle his doudou like his other toys :-)

Nancy @ gottagetbaked 7 June 2014 at 9:46 pm

I definitely have a container issue but I think of it as a good thing. I have a ton of rubbermaid and ziplock glass containers. I have a cabinet devoted to them but it’s a horror show every time I open the door because crap comes spilling out. There is just no way to properly organize them! Anyways, enough about tupperware, let’s discuss this gorgeous cake! It looks ah-may-zing. I love baking with sour cream and the pecans and chocolate sound divine. I really need to try this asap!

Eat, Little Bird 8 June 2014 at 12:27 pm

I agree – organising all of the plastic can be an issue, but I now try to keep empty containers to a minimum. Most of my Tupperware is used for storing pantry items, but the cellar seems to home to more of the large Tupperware, such as cake carriers and the like. I guess I’m not transporting cakes as much as I thought I would!