Zurich-Style Veal in a Mushroom & Cream Sauce with Crash-Hot Potatoes

14 January 2014

Post image for Zurich-Style Veal in a Mushroom & Cream Sauce with Crash-Hot Potatoes

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a great start already to 2014. We often celebrate the New Year in Zurich and so it seems fitting to start 2014 on ELB with a classic recipe from my adopted hometown.

zurich collage

Zürcher Geschnetzeltes is a popular dish in Switzerland, particularly in and around the Zurich region. Pronouncing the name of the dish in German is a bit of a mouthful, even more so in Swiss German, the latter being Züri Gschnätzlets. It simply means Zurich-style strips of meat, although the dish itself is more specifically veal cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce. Some restaurants also include kidneys in their recipe, but the dish is almost always served on a bed of golden and crispy Rösti, and almost always presented in two serves in restaurants, allowing the diner to enjoy the meal while it is still piping hot.

Zürcher Geschnetzeltes is a quick and tasty dish to make at home, and this recipe from Betty Bossi, a popular Swiss food magazine and cookbook publisher, is a local favourite.

zurich style veal 1

I’m not a big fan of meat-heavy dishes, so I like to add a lot more mushrooms to my version of Zürcher Geschnetzeltes. You can play around with the quantity of veal and mushrooms as you wish.

This dish is best paired with Rösti but my lazy alternative at home is to serve it with Crash-Hot Potatoes, which are simply boiled new potatoes which you lightly squash with a fork or a potato masher, drizzle over some olive oil, sprinkle with some sea salt and then bake in a hot oven until they are bronzed and golden. This is my way of jazzing up cold, leftover boiled potatoes – a fabulous recipe from Jill Dupleix which I came across in an early issue of Delicious magazine.

zurich white wine

You could also serve Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with rice or pasta (such as linguine or tagliatelle), something I like to do as a slight variation with any leftover sauce. It also works superbly as a pie filling and topped with puff pastry … just don’t tell the Swiss!

I hope you will enjoy this Swiss classic. I plan to feature a few more Swiss recipes soon on ELB so keep an eye out. En Guete!

Zurich-Style Veal in a Mushroom & Cream Sauce
Recipe adapted from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi
Serves 4

zurich-style-veal-recipe-1

I tend to make more stock than needed and thicken it with extra cornflour, so that I have enough on hand to thicken the sauce to my liking.

Paula 15 January 2014 at 9:59 am

Oh, Thanh, you know I was hoping to see that Zürcher Geschnetzeltes. Thank you!! I can’t wait to try it!! Love that!!

I saw on Facebook that you have had a good time thes days, glad for you!! :)

I bought lots of things of Betty Bossi on Switzerland. But, you know? What a pity!! Didn’t find the thing (truc must I say??) to make Spätzle!! But next time (because it will be next time) maybe find and buy also book or magazine of her.

It’s funny to me that you say you like to add mushrooms because some meat dishes are heavy. I say this, because, to me, it seems that sauces and dishes with mushrooms (although I love them) make heavier dish!! It’s silly. but I find funny to see how we can have so different perceptions of the same thing :P

I love to make that crash hot potatoes, my favourite side dish, have you try with goose fat??? Once a year, but it makes them sooooooooo good!! But I also love Rösti, my favourite side dish (also Spätzle, okey!!) when I travel to Germany and around.

I’m boring you, Thanh!!! I left now…. OK? Write the recipe in my notebook and say Tschüss!!
Have a nice week!!!

eat, little bird 15 January 2014 at 12:04 pm

Hi Paula,

Happy New Year! I’m glad to hear that you bought a lot of Betty Bossi products when you were in Switzerland. I love their books – they recipes are simple, but good.

I love eating Spätzli but have never really made it at home, something I must try soon. I bought something to make Spätzli from Tupperware … I think I should use it soon! I will let you know if it is any good.

That’s funny that you think adding mushrooms would make the dish heavier ;-) I should confess that mushrooms are maybe my favourite vegetable so perhaps that is why I love them in this dish. I hope you will enjoy this recipe!

Ann Koekepan 15 January 2014 at 3:01 pm

Looks great again! I love the fact you can now download your recipe in one page :-) That’s an improvement I feel :-)
Those potatoes are to die for, it is indeed such an easy way to make the blunt potato much more than just a boiled potato :-)
A dish I will try (or give to hubs since he is cooking a lot over the week nowadays).

eat, little bird 16 January 2014 at 12:20 am

I’m glad you like this recipe layout :-) I’m experimenting with a few different styles at the moment so it’s good to know that you like this format. And I’m also happy to hear that you also know of this recipe for Crash-Hot Potatoes. We often have leftover boiled potatoes (especially after raclette!), so this recipe is a great way of reheating the potatoes. I hope you will enjoy this dish!

Anita Menon 15 January 2014 at 9:09 pm

Such a sumptuous treat to the senses. Gorgeous photos

eat, little bird 16 January 2014 at 12:21 am

Thanks, Anita! I’m sure you could do a vege version of this dish. In fact, I have made a vege version … I might have to post about it soon.

Helen @ Scrummy Lane 16 January 2014 at 1:48 am

Looks like a lovely easy meal and I especially like your description of the potatoes. Sometimes I don’t think I make enough meat-based dishes for my hubby’s liking, so will be giving this a try!

eat, little bird 17 January 2014 at 12:48 pm

I hope your husband will enjoy this dish! And these potatoes are fantastic, like all roast potatoes :-)

Eva in the Kitchen 16 January 2014 at 3:32 pm

I was waiting for this one after you put it on Instagram, I love this dish and your pictures as well!

eat, little bird 17 January 2014 at 12:50 pm

Thank you! A few people emailed me about this recipe after I posted the photo on Instagram so I’ve tried to get it up as soon as I can :-)

Jess 16 January 2014 at 5:04 pm

This sounds and looks amazing! A great dinner any night of the week! :)

eat, little bird 17 January 2014 at 12:51 pm

Thanks, Jess! It’s a rather quick and easy dish to make, so definitely do-able during the week. The potatoes might take a bit of time, especially if you’re not using cold leftover boiled potatoes, but pasta is a lovely alternative. Enjoy!

Jo 18 January 2014 at 9:49 am

Thanh it occurs to me you could make beautiful postcard-style recipe cards from your blog recipes! I can so imagine having a wee little box on my counter top with all your beautifully photographed recipes in. This looks delish too – hubs would love it I’m sure :D

eat, little bird 18 January 2014 at 9:42 pm

Ah that’s a great idea! I do already make some recipe cards as gifts but it never occurred to me to use the ones which I have prepared for my blog … thanks for the idea! :-)

Rushi 21 January 2014 at 12:12 pm

Thanh, lovely to see a new blog post :) I must say that I like the new recipe layout too. I’ve got a bowl of boiled spuds that need to be used up and your crash hot potatoes might just be the fix.

eat, little bird 21 January 2014 at 11:00 pm

Hi Rushi! Crash-Hot Potatoes are the only remedy for leftover boiled potatoes, I think ;-)