Cinnamon Donuts

5 August 2011

Post image for Cinnamon Donuts

I love donuts. I particularly love them hot, fresh from the vat and sprinkled with lots of sugar and ground cinnamon. Give me a donut and a cup of coffee for breakfast and I’m a happy camper.

Now probably isn’t the best time to confess that I once had an addiction to cinnamon donuts. I was living in Brisbane, Australia, at the time and would often buy them by the half dozen from the supermarket and finish them within a day. Not very classy but gosh they were good! Thankfully, those days of gluttony are (sort of) over for me. Though, that is probably due in part to the fact that I now live in Zurich, Switzerland, where cinnamon donuts are a rare find.

In Zurich, you can find donuts at Starbucks, but I don’t know where they are made and they are always sold cold. Jam donuts (Berliner) can often be found, but they tend to be dusted with icing sugar instead of granulated sugar. Still, I wouldn’t say no to one, especially if it comes from Sprüngli, a famous patisserie in Zurich. And I particularly love donuts filled with thick, vanilla custard. Mmmm …

cinnamon donuts 1

Sadly, there is no Dunkin’ Donuts or similar in Zurich. Of course, they have their own lovely cake shops and bakeries with gorgeous French-inspired pastries, but there are times when you don’t want a perfect-looking Vanilla Slice (Vanille Cremeschnitte) or Raspberry Tart. There are times when only a good ol’ cinnamon donut would do.

I spent a good part of 2010 watching MasterChef Australia on iTunes. I was simply addicted to the show and couldn’t wait to come home each day to download the next episode. I’m rather disappointed that they haven’t made the 2011 series available on iTunes but at least there are other ways of watching it online (for free!). And it was on one of the episodes of MasterClass that I saw Gary Mehigan making donuts that reminded me of my lost love for donuts; I was instantly captivated and couldn’t wait to try the recipe at home.

cinnamon-donuts-2

Most donut recipes require you to make a yeast dough, but Gary’s recipe uses a batter made with yeast. The batter is incredibly simple to make and only requires about 45-60 minutes to prove. Unfortunately, I don’t own a deep-fryer but a large pot and a sugar thermometer works just as well.

These donuts are incredibly light and fluffy – not dense and chewy which leaves a heavy feeling in your tummy. In fact, these are so light that it’s hard to stop eating them!

Cinnamon Donuts
Recipe adapted from Gary Mehigan, MasterChef Australia
Makes about 20 small donuts

cinnamon-donuts-recipe

Hazzer 5 August 2011 at 4:49 am

Wow, these look so good. My mouth is watering.

Teresa De Angelis 5 August 2011 at 8:49 am

Oh yes, great choice! I have this thought in my head that doughnuts are so complicated and long to make, but I just read though the recipe and it really does seem too easy not to try. I nice little sweet treat. YUM!

Ann Koekepan 5 August 2011 at 9:27 am

Love it. Looks a little like our smoutebollen in Belgium. Also deep fried. Must certainly try these ones with the children, they love donuts. Great writting Creme.

jobakes 5 August 2011 at 10:11 am

Lol I too had a childhood addiction to cinnamon donuts but they were found at McDonalds. Boy did I throw a wobbly the day they stopped making them! After my experiment with homemade churros (which were fabulous) and realising the fat involved I vowed I would never deep fry again unless I had a visitor who required them… perhaps you can visit Creme so I *have* to have a go at this fabulous recipe? ;).
Beautiful lil perfect cinnamon spheres btw, totally perfect x

eat little bird 5 August 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! This is a surprisingly easy recipe, despite the fact that it involves yeast which used to scare me off in the past.

Jodie – I know what you mean about the amount of oil, but if you believe Nigella, apparently deep-frying can be healthy for you! Well, so long as the oil is at the right temperature, I think the food doesn’t absorb as much oil as you think it would. If I am ever in your neighbourhood, I might just have to pop by to whip these up for us to snack on :-) Happy to know of someone else who had a donut addiction, LOL!

Julia Levy 5 August 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’ve actually never been a donut fan and think i can count on one hand how many i’ve had. But you know, maybe I should never make this recipe cos I think i’d have a serious problem on my hands!!!

At Anna's Kitchen Table 5 August 2011 at 3:51 pm

Oh my word, they look truly amazing! I’ve never made donuts before.

Reem 5 August 2011 at 10:53 pm

Oh My God.. I’m drooling, these look heavenly!!! Best part this is an easy recipe.

myfudomyfudo 6 August 2011 at 12:13 am

the looks of it makes me feel the aromatic scent of your delish donut.

-Taylor Bailey (tresdelicious@gmail.com)

Heidi @ Food Doodles 6 August 2011 at 4:58 am

Oh my, those look so yummy. I love the picture of the inside. Mmm :D

susan 6 August 2011 at 5:23 am

simply perfect!

Karolina Eleonóra 6 August 2011 at 4:40 pm

Beautiful!! ^^

nicola 11 August 2011 at 9:56 am

Now they really do look delicious! I love cinnamon doughnuts and like Jodie, I have fond memories of the ones they used to serve in McDonalds…sigh :-)

trixie melodian 21 August 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’m a huge fan of cinnamon donuts – but they HAVE to be hot and fresh. Cold ones from the supermarket are doughy and stodgy.

I made this recipe tonight and it was perfect. I was surprised to find a lot of the online recipes involve rolling, cutting out and proving a firm dough which wasn’t what I wanted at all. I wanted the wet batter that you see being blobbed out of the donut maker into the hot oil at the local donut shop!

This was just right, really easy and gave a great result, especially in our ($30 el cheapo) deep fryer. We had run out of milk so replaced the milk with cream and reduced the butter a tiny bit. We ate the first couple hot and fresh but for the rest of the batch (the recipe makes far too much for our little family to eat in one sitting) I filled them with raspberry jam after rolling them in cinnamon sugar. Jam donuts seem to be acceptable to eat cold in a way that plain cinnamon ones don’t.

I’ve tried freezing a couple so I’ll let you know how it works out!

eat little bird 21 August 2011 at 3:49 pm

Hi Trixie! Thanks heaps for your feedback! I’m so glad you also found this to be an easy recipe and the donuts turned out great for you! The recipe does indeed make a lot of donuts and I had made a note to try and halve the recipe next time. They still taste great the next day, but nothing beats a hot and fresh donut :-) I’m envious of your deep fryer … I might have to buy myself one too!

Emma @ TheFatLossAuthority.com 11 November 2011 at 5:38 pm

Oh my – these are so good with a nice hot cup of coffee on a Sunday morning! I made these last Saturday night and Sunday morning they were just so fresh and good that my hubby and I had a great start to out day! I plan to make these often because they are so much better than anything you could buy in the store!

eat, little bird 11 November 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hi Emma! These are indeed really delicious when they are hot and fresh. I know that it’s not the healthiest start to the day, but I love a donut or two with my coffee at breakfast sometimes. Perhaps we can eat with a clearer conscience if the donuts are homemade? ;-)

Olivia 11 November 2011 at 6:57 pm

These look really good. I can see my entire family liking these – maybe a little too much! My hubby has an incredible sweet tooth, so I have to watch it with the sugar, but every now and again, these would be perfect!

eat, little bird 11 November 2011 at 11:12 pm

Hi Olivia! Everything in moderation is good, I think ;-) These are great to make at home and I think I will make these again when I have friends over for afternoon tea next week :-)

olivier 20 January 2012 at 8:41 am

Hey mate,
I’ve been looking online for the recipe by Gary Mehigan . We both watched the same cooking program. I was living in New Zealand when I saw it. It’s been ages since then. I loved it though. I’ve been particularly wanting Gary Mehigan’s recipe. Thanks a lot!!!!
I was just thinking about your pot. you could get a wok at “Asia” shop in Oerlikon. When I visited my sister at Zurich, we used the train to stop there for asian ingredients. it’s a nice shop…..unless you’ve been there already or already got the wok : ) cheers

eat, little bird 20 January 2012 at 11:46 am

Hi Olivier!

Nice to know of another MasterChef fan! I really liked that season and these donuts are what I have cooked most from that show. Please let me know if you try this recipe as I would love to know what you think of them.

And what a small world! I know exactly the Asian grocer in Oerlikon that you are talking about – I go there quite often because a good friend of mine lives close by, and they happen to have a great selection of fresh herbs and silken tofu, the latter being hard to find in Zurich. But thanks for the tip – I don’t actually own a proper wok and that would definitely be a good place to buy one!

Merisse 6 June 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m sooo going to try this one out, it looks delicious and I’m a big fan of cinnamon!!

eat, little bird 6 June 2012 at 10:55 pm

These were incredibly delicious and I’m waiting for the right time to make them again. If you like cinnamon, I would recommend that you double or triple the amount of cinnamon :-)

Lynna 7 August 2014 at 9:47 pm

These look so droolworthy!! Not helping my intense donut cravings! :P