Fish Cakes with Coriander, Ginger & Chillies

22 July 2011

Post image for Fish Cakes with Coriander, Ginger & Chillies

Further to my previous post, we still had another 1 kg of potatoes to get through, and as we are going away next week, I had to come up with a way to use those potatoes. And then, by chance, Carrie from thePatternedPlate posted her delicious recipe for fishcakes (or, as they are called in her Indian culture, cutlets). I was instantly sold!

Not only were these fishcakes the perfect way of using up our potatoes, but we had most of the other ingredients on hand, too, which we also needed to use up before going away. As much as I love fresh herbs such as coriander, I think they are sold in bundles which are often too large, such that they usually go brown and wilted before you can use it all. Plus, I always seem to pick up a bunch of coriander when I am out grocery shopping because I am never sure if there is enough back home in the fridge.

Any recipe which calls for punchy Asian ingredients such as garam masala, ginger, coriander and chillies can only taste good, in my opinion. Previous recipes which I have tried for fishcakes have been geared towards more the nursery-type palate, which is not a bad thing when you just want fishcakes simply made from mashed potatoes and some tinned fish. This is certainly what I grew up on and a supper of simple fishcakes with a salad (and a blob of Heinz ketchup on the side) is one of the most comforting nursery meals I can think of.

But for something with an extra kick and a bit more grown-up, Carrie’s recipe is perfect. She recommends serving the fishcakes with a Coriander Raita, but I found a small tub of thick Greek yoghurt mixed with lots of finely chopped coriander did the trick; given that I had added chilli powder and fresh chillies to my fishcakes, the yoghurt sauce was perfect to cut through the heat.

Carrie is forever inspiring me with her recipe choices and this is one which will become a regular in home, for sure.

{Please click on the image twice to view the recipe in full size}

*Note: To view the recipe, click on the image above. Depending on your computer settings, you may have to zoom in if the text is too small.

Carrie 22 July 2011 at 9:45 pm

Oh Thanh I am bursting!! You have written about them wonderfully, and your pictures do them so much service! Its such a good recipe to do using stuff you would usually have at home..or at least in my home! Thanks so much for showcasing them on your fantastic blog. I will admit to my heart skipping a beat when I saw my name in ‘published’ recipe!!!!! :-D

eat little bird 22 July 2011 at 9:53 pm

Oh you are more than welcome!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe! It is certainly the best makeover for fishcakes I have ever tried :-) And yes, I usually also have most of the ingredients on hand at home, so these will definitely be a regular feature. Plus, hubby really enjoyed these fishcakes and loved the spiciness :-) Thanks again for another great recipe idea!

jobakes 22 July 2011 at 9:53 pm

I just love that you used Carrie’s recipe Thanh – keeping it in the foodie family! Beautiful fishcakes pictures although my bug phobia won’t allow me to take a second glance at your plate I’m afraid! These are a wonderful recipe I really must do again soon :)

eat little bird 22 July 2011 at 9:56 pm

This sounded like a tried and tested recipe and I didn’t want to miss out ;-) I’m so glad to have tried this recipe and can see why so many people have been raving about it. Bug phobia??? Even butterfilies? Oh no!

Teresa De Angelis 22 July 2011 at 11:40 pm

Tanh, aren’t they delicious! I love that you you said you would make them and you did! And I on the other hand from Jo, like your plate, and lot’s actually…..;)

eat little bird 22 July 2011 at 11:56 pm

I’m snacking on one right now ;-) Oh I’m glad that you like my plate. Our kitchen in Chicago has mostly plain white plates so this was one of the few decorated plates that we have … glad it was pleasing to your eye! ;-)

Julia Levy 23 July 2011 at 12:39 am

Another gorgeous post Thanh, absolutlely came alive, i love your photos, and amazingly they don’t look fried at all. I love the use of panko, they look so wonderfully crunchy. We (my family) also call them cutlets so come on, join us, beak away from the nursery style fishcakes and call these wonderous beautiies cutlets too!

eat little bird 23 July 2011 at 12:46 am

Hi Julia! Do you know where the term “cutlet” comes from? I can’t seem to make the connection, unless these fish cakes were commonly made from fish cutlets … I don’t know, LOL! I think the use of panko were key here because they were wonderfully crunchy. Also, I fried them in only a little oil so they were not too greasy. Just love them!

Hazzer 5 August 2011 at 4:46 am

I made these the other day, delicious and simple. Beautiful photography as always.

Quynh Anh 22 November 2011 at 1:02 pm

I was in Lisbon last week. They have a typical fish cake which they consider their typical dish. And it tastes so similar to another type of Vietnamese fish cake (not the one I introduce). I think it’s because they also use coriander. Your recipe looks a bit like that one too. Will try a bit from your recipe with cod fish to see if I can reproduce another recipe. :)

eat, little bird 26 November 2011 at 9:53 pm

Good luck with your experiment! Please let me know how it turns out. I made these fish cakes again tonight and they were so delicious and comforting :-)

Amy 19 October 2012 at 10:53 am

These sound good and the photos are as nice as ever. I have seen them on The Patterned Plate too, but have not made them yet. Do you know if they can be kept uncooked in the fridge / freezer, because even halving this recipe makes a large batch for 2. I don’t see why not, but I thought I would check to see if you or Carries have done this. Thank you.

eat, little bird 19 October 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hi Amy,

These can certainly be kept uncooked in the fridge and, I would guess, also in the freezer. What I often do is shape all of the fish cakes and leave them in the fridge, and then only dip them in egg and breadcrumbs just before frying. As the potatoes and tuna are already cooked, I find they can keep rather well in the fridge for 2-3 days in their “uncooked” state – I haven’t had to test them beyond this duration!

If you are making these fish cakes for 2, I would also halve the recipe. Though, if you compare my recipe to Carrie’s, mine are perhaps better described as potato cakes with tuna as I use 1 kg of potatoes instead of just 1 potato. So you will see how adaptable Carrie’s recipe is – add more or less potato depending on your own tastes. In which case, if you scale down the potatoes, you would end up with a smaller quantity of fish cakes but more fish flavour.

I hope this helps :-)