Braised Chicken with Mushrooms, Potatoes & Thyme

15 July 2011

Post image for Braised Chicken with Mushrooms, Potatoes & Thyme

When hubby is on his own, he tends to cook really simple food like pasta. Just pasta. Oh and maybe a grating of parmesan cheese if there happens to be some in the fridge. Or he might just boil potatoes. Or he goes all out and raids my cookbook collection to produce something really elaborate and exquisite, and will then cheekily send me a photo to show me what I’m missing out on.

After a recent brief spell on his own, I came home to find a 2kg bag of potatoes in the kitchen. They’ve been sitting there for a bit and I felt I had to do something with them tonight or else they were destined for the compost.

Braised Chicken with Mushrooms, Potatoes & Thyme sounds like a winter comfort dish, but this is something I love to sit down to, whatever the season.

In Zurich, it’s very rare that you will find chicken thighs on the supermarket shelves or at the butcher. I’m not sure what they do with the thighs but it’s a shame because it’s a cut of meat I love to use in stews and braises. So as I am in the mid-west in the US at the moment, I took the opportunity tonight to buy chicken thigh fillets for this braise. I normally also use brandy or white wine for this dish but, as we had neither, I used Marsala instead (from California and which happens to be quite good).

A comforting mid-week meal.

Mandy Cumberland 17 July 2011 at 1:59 pm

That looks so comforting and homely. And I mean that as the highest compliment. That is the stuff that dream mid-week meals after a busy day at work are made of.

eatlittlebird 18 July 2011 at 6:10 pm

Oh thanks Mandy! Lovely to see you here :-) This is indeed a meal I love to come home to during the week and, thankfully, it’s fairly quick to put together :-)

Julia @ Mélanger 21 July 2011 at 7:55 am

Hello, thank you for finding my blog. Lovely to find yours. That’s odd about chicken thighs. I wonder if locals even notice? It’s one of my favourite cuts of meat so I would be lost without it. I will have to try this amazing recipe next time. Just perfect for our chilly weather!

eat little bird 21 July 2011 at 6:08 pm

Julia, thanks for visiting! I’m not sure if the Swiss typically eat chicken thighs – chicken breast fillets and Maryland pieces tend to be the most popular. It’s hit and miss if I see chicken thighs in the supermarket, and usually when I do, I will buy a few packets just to put away in the freezer! Enjoy the Brisbane winter – as mild as it is, it is far better than the high 30s I am currently experiencing in the mid-west!

The Dinner Belle for KimberlyBelle.com 21 July 2011 at 5:48 pm

I can’t believe I’ve never stumbled upon your blog before!! It’s nice to see so many asian-inspired recipes :)
I have to give you kudos for turning 2 kg worth of potatoes into an awesome comfort meal. And yes, totally agree with you on eating winter dishes throughout all seasons…!

eat little bird 21 July 2011 at 6:13 pm

I’m thrilled that you’ve stumbled upon my blog! :-) It’s relatively new and I hope to post quite a bit more soon … am travelling at the moment in the US so it’s a bit difficult! Hope to see you here again :-) Meanwhile, I will have to go and visit your site …