Hello world!

20 June 2011

Post image for Hello world!

Welcome to my blog, a place to share my culinary adventures.

And what better way to celebrate my first post than with a celebratory chocolate cake! And this is not just any ordinary chocolate cake … it is a rich, moist and dense Chocolate Pound Cake adapted from a recipe by Marlene Matar from “Marlene’s Best Recipes From East and West”.

I first came across this recipe on a food forum from another avid foodie who calls herself “SamIam”, who swore that this recipe was one of her absolute favourites when it came to chocolate cake. Prior to trying this recipe, I was a rather faithful follower of Nigella Lawson’s Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake from Feast and also her Chocolate Fudge Cake from Nigella Bites. Both recipes produce a two-tier chocolate cake covered in a rich and thick chocolate icing, and which (for me) have been the ultimate in chocolate cakes.

So I was hesitant to try a new chocolate cake recipe, but this Chocolate Pound Cake is gorgeous for being au natural. Un-iced and un-adorned, this cake is just beautiful on its own. But served with some homemade custard with vanilla and rum – and also raspberries alongside – it makes for the perfect pudding.

And whilst the recipe itself is a clear contender for the Chocolate Cake Hall of Fame, I must admit that my fancy cake tin (though much neglected in recent years) did most of the hard work in transforming a plain chocolate cake into something more elegant.

So welcome to my blog!

{Please click on the image twice to view the recipe in full size}

Carrie 20 June 2011 at 11:21 pm

Absolutely beautiful photo Thanh! That cake looks to die for! And its a perfect opening post to what promises to be an exciting new blog in the foodie world! Enjoy and good luck!

eatlittlebird 20 June 2011 at 11:38 pm

Thank you Carrie!!! I really appreciate your support :-)

Cucina Italiana 21 June 2011 at 8:51 am

As always Thanh, your photography never fails to astound me and your prose is beautifully written! I thought I didn’t need another food blog in my life – how wrong was I… I will be an avid follower of this blog that’s for sure.

Well done, Claudine xx

eatlittlebird 21 June 2011 at 8:56 am

Claudine – Thank you for your lovely comments! I thought the world didn’t need another food blog either, but I thought I would bite the bullet anyway ;-) I am working on improving my photography so I always value your feedback!

lorna buffey 21 June 2011 at 7:11 pm

what a beautiful and professional looking blog,hope to see lots of photos and recipes as in the past i’ve tried many new recipes after viewing one of your pictures :-)

eatlittlebird 21 June 2011 at 7:20 pm

Great to see you here, Lorna!! Thank you so much :-) I’m so glad to hear that I’ve been able to persuade you with my photos! You will definitely be seeing lots here!

Amanda 25 June 2011 at 4:46 pm

Beautiful! Cant wait to see more!

Pamela Giles 10 July 2011 at 11:23 pm

Super-looking cake! What were your thoughts on it? Haven’t made it myself, but have obviously heard a lot about it!

eatlittlebird 10 July 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hi Pamela! Thanks for visiting my blog :-) This is a great chocolate cake recipe, though I halved it and used a smaller tin than specified. Even then, it was a pretty big cake! But, as a chocolate cake, it doesn’t disappoint and has the advantage of improving after a few days! I think this cake is perfect if you want to make a plain chocolate cake. Please let me know if you happen to try it!

Anita Menon 30 July 2011 at 4:55 pm

The most gorgeous cake ever!

stephanie wesztergom 20 September 2011 at 1:05 am

Hello. very pretty. Where is the recipe???

Meenakshi 12 May 2012 at 7:45 pm

I discovered your blog via Anita’s, and what a wonderful work of art you have here! I have bookmarked this recipe. We are all in need of a great chocolate cake recipe, and this one is as uncomplicated as it gets! Beautiful photo. Will be visiting regularly now!

eat, little bird 14 May 2012 at 1:17 pm

Hi Meenakshi! How wonderful that you have found my blog :-) And especially via Anita’s wonderful food blog! I really, really love this chocolate cake and highly recommend it.

Meenakshi 29 June 2012 at 10:11 am

I made this 2 days ago for a child’s birthday and it was wonderful!!! So soft and rich. I am going to bake it again!!! Yummy. I can now safely say that I have found my foolproof chocolate cake recipe.

eat, little bird 10 July 2012 at 7:04 pm

I’m so happy to hear that you tried this cake and that it was successful! I think it’s a wonderful chocolate cake if you prefer something simple and without frosting, but it also happens to work well if you wish to decorate with frosting. I should make this myself again soon!

chesca manalo 18 July 2012 at 4:54 pm

Hi great and lovely photo! I just wanted to ask if i can use hersheys unsweetened cocoa powder? Thank you!!

eat, little bird 19 July 2012 at 3:20 pm

Of course, any good quality cocoa powder will be good in this recipe, as long as it is unsweetened. I have never tried Hersheys brand but I’m sure it will work perfectly in this recipe. Good luck!

chesca manalo 18 July 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hi is it ok to use hersheys unsweetened cocoa powder? Thanks!

Abby 7 August 2013 at 11:06 am

Hi Thanh!

I am an avid reader of yours and my husband and I regard you as a trusted source for great recipes. I have to say I feel completely responsible for most of the traffic on your chocolate pound cake page as I revisit it at least twice a month to make this devine cake. My favorite to date!

I have a question.. I have visitors who dont drink coffee and I wonder if the recipe would turn out the same without it?

Thanks again a million times for your charming blog and outstanding food :)

Abby

eat, little bird 7 August 2013 at 11:10 pm

Hi Abby,

I’m so flattered that you and your husband enjoy the recipes on my site! Feedback like yours makes it all worth it :-)

And I’m doubly flattered that you love this chocolate pound cake recipe. It’s also one that I make regularly as I find that it keeps so well.

I think you could certainly leave out the coffee powder from this recipe with not too much effect on the taste. I think the coffee powder is there to provide a hint of bitterness and which somehow highlights the chocolate taste more. The last time I made this cake, I used the same quantity of instant espresso powder (instead of instant coffee powder) for a somewhat darker taste.

So if you have guests who don’t or can’t have coffee, I would simply omit the coffee from the recipe. The recipe calls for a fairly small quantity so I suppose it shouldn’t have any effect on the presentation of the cake itself. If you do try this cake without the coffee, please let me know how it turns out. Good luck and happy baking!

Abby 12 August 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hello again,

Great news! We made the cake without the coffee powder and decided to add chunks of dark chocolate scattered throughout. It turned out really well ( with gooey chocolate pockets here and there from the chopped chocolate bar) and of course it only improved with each day. It was a huge hit! no one could leave it alone. I myself missed the coffee in it that adds the subtle highlight but the recipe held as a great base for a new thing!

Im going to move onto your flourless chocolate cake next.. thanks again Thanh for your help and for enriching my life with your recipes and stories.

Abby

eat, little bird 12 August 2013 at 4:43 pm

Oh wow! You’ve really made this cake your own now :-) I will have to try it myself with chopped dark chocolate next time – sounds fabulous!

Thank you again for your lovely feedback. I love sharing my favourite recipes and it’s really only worthwhile when there is someone else to enjoy them :-) Have fun with the next recipe.

Carla 12 November 2014 at 1:01 am

I love the photos of this cake and I will try it soon. Where can I find/buy a lovely cake pan like the one used? Thank you.

Eat, Little Bird 12 November 2014 at 10:21 pm

Hi Carla,
I bought the cake tin from E. Dehillerin in Paris. Whenever I see interesting cake tins on my travels, I try to buy them as a souvenir and hope there is enough space in my luggage! I’m not sure if they still have this cake tin at E. Dehillerin but it’s always worth checking specialty cake or kitchen shops to see what interesting cake tins they might have. Good luck!