American Buttermilk Pancakes with Bananas & Toffee Sauce

20 June 2011

Post image for American Buttermilk Pancakes with Bananas & Toffee Sauce

Here is another fabulous recipe from Rachel Allen’s Home Cooking.

I made the American Buttermilk Pancakes more out of curiousity because I wanted to compare them with Nigella’s American Pancakes from Nigella Bites. Nigella’s recipe is what I use almost everytime because I love that they always turn out thick and fluffy.

Rachel Allen’s recipe turned out quite well. The pancakes rose a lot on cooking and they have a much more light and fluffy texture than Nigella’s; I think I would describe Nigella’s pancakes as more dense and fluffy (if that makes sense).

I normally like to have my pancakes with berries and maple syrup but I had neither to hand. However, I liked the sound of one of Rachel Allen’s suggestions which was to serve the pancakes with sliced bananas and Toffee Sauce.

The recipe for the Toffee Sauce is in the back of the book in the Basics section. I quite like that the book has a lot of basic recipes with simple and easy-to-follow instructions. The Toffee Sauce was a breeze to make, though it took quite a while for it to thicken on the stove. The Toffee Sauce does also thicken as it cools a bit. The recipe produces quite a lot but, according to the book, it keeps for months in the fridge (which is handy to have!).

Served with the pancakes and banana slices, the Toffee Sauce does indeed make for a rather decadent breakfast!!! So admittedly not an everyday breakfast dish but the whole dish was incredibly delicious!

I think I still prefer Nigella’s pancake recipe, though I think the bananas with toffee sauce would be great for a decadent brunch as an alternative to the usual maple syrup.

Carrie 21 June 2011 at 11:53 am

Drooooool! I can never get enough of looking at this photo! The colour of that toffee sauce is just perfect. Hate an anaemic looking toffee sauce! Always good to compare recipes, you do it for us and we’ll salivate!!!

eatlittlebird 21 June 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hi Carrie! I highly recommend this Toffee Sauce! It’s actually rather great to have in the fridge for those moments when you need to put together a dessert quickly. It goes without saying that it’s heavenly on ice-cream!

Mandy Cumberland 17 July 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oh, I think I have died and gone to heaven! How long do you think that toffee sauce would last in the fridge for?

eatlittlebird 18 July 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hi Mandy! According to Rachel Allen, the toffee sauce keeps “for ages” in the fridge. I kept a jar in the fridge for up to 1 month and it was ok – it’s loaded with sugar so I guess it will never go off! To serve, I just reheat it on the stove but I guess you can also microwave it. I don’t think it’s worth making a small batch of this – just make the full recipe and you will be grateful later to have some in the fridge ;-)

kat 18 July 2011 at 10:45 am

I can’t wait to try the toffee sauce! Oh my goodness, it all looks so yummy! Have you tried cinnamon swirl pancakes? I did a post on it, please check it out and let me know what you think! I’m new to this blogging thing and I love checking out fellow foodie blogs

eatlittlebird 18 July 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi Kat – The toffee sauce is really divine! It’s really decadent on pancakes, but it’s worth trying :-) It’s particularly delicious with ice-cream when you need to jazz up something simple for dessert.

nicola 11 August 2011 at 9:59 am

A heavenly combination! That toffee sauce recipe is one of my standby recipes, love it!

Jim 6 September 2011 at 4:05 pm

Nice recipe…

I was going to make the below but I will definitely be making these instead.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Meenakshi 12 May 2012 at 7:52 pm

I could drink eat that whole jug of toffee sauce, spoon by spoon.

eat, little bird 14 May 2012 at 1:18 pm

LOL!! It is very addictive!